2008 Brazilian Grand Prix - Title Decider

Who will win the 2008 Formula One Drivers Championship?

Lewis Hamilton
59%
Felipe Massa
41%

Total votes: 118

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix - Title Decider

Post by iceman1 » 04 Nov 2008, 19:46

AzShadow wrote:Is the new final race Abu Dhabi? Some new boring street track will conclude the next season? Oh please... :blink:
some pics from Aljazeerasport

Image (he was talking about Bernie , they Love him )

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Nov 2008, 19:46

Another Fact - First time since 1999 when the winning driver did not bring his team the constructors title as well - Ironically that time it was a McLaren drivers (Hakkinen) champion with a Ferrari constructors champion. This means only 1 constructors championship in 17 years, with their previous one being in 1998 and then 1991.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 04 Nov 2008, 20:52

i think in a way being wdc is also like being constructors champion too, because the driver and the team is represented.....wcc is just a consolation prize, as irvine said in 1999

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 04 Nov 2008, 22:27

phil1993 wrote:Another Fact - First time since 1999 when the winning driver did not bring his team the constructors title as well - Ironically that time it was a McLaren drivers (Hakkinen) champion with a Ferrari constructors champion. This means only 1 constructors championship in 17 years, with their previous one being in 1998 and then 1991.
Lewis is also the first Champion since M. Schumacher (2003, 93 pts) to win the title with less then a hundred points.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

KurtF1
car driver
car driver

Post by KurtF1 » 04 Nov 2008, 23:30

at least we won the constructor... :(

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 04 Nov 2008, 23:37

Constructors championship means bugger all.

tresxd
car driver
car driver

Post by tresxd » 05 Nov 2008, 05:10

actually constructor championship means more than driver's championship, as it shows how good a team is and their team work, but people usually only remebers the driver's championship.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 Nov 2008, 06:15

tresxd wrote:actually constructor championship means more than driver's championship, as it shows how good a team is and their team work, but people usually only remebers the driver's championship.
+1 ..at least to me its means more now as i m only casual driver supporter :laugh1: ..its no secret i would be more happy if Massa had won but its ok.On Top 'Ferrari deserved to be WCC' has more magnitude than 'x driver deserves WDC'.

F2008 Stats
Wins = 8
Fastest Laps = 13
Pole Positions = 8
Retirements = 4

Without s*** - MES SECU ..Ferrari would have won both titles and Renault would have finished ahead in Championships table *Magneti Marelli \m/* :laugh1:

WCC for Team is very important ..helps the brand value ..extra $$$ from F~0~M :O
Spoiler:
Luca di Montezemolo: "A very important goal reached"

"In all my years in Formula 1, I haven't seen such an incredibly exciting finish to a championship. I always said that we'd be fighting until the last corner of the last Grand Prix and that's exactly what happened at the end of a brilliantly tense competition.

Ferrari's winning its 16th Constructors' World title since its foundation is an important milestone not only because it is the fruit of the work put in by the team and the drivers throughout the entire Championship, but also because we will once again be able to put the World Champion symbol on our Grand Tourers. Winning for the eighth time in 10 years - a feat unequalled at world level in any other team sport - proves beyond a shadow of a doubt what an extraordinary group we are.

We won thanks to a team that has undergone many profound changes over the last two years, changes that have brought on many young people from inside the Company. There were mistakes and difficult times but we responded to both by remaining united and refusing to give in. For that I thank GES Director Stefano Domenicali and his entire team of collaborators.

We have two great drivers in Felipe and Kimi also, and they deserve all our compliments for a job well done. Felipe in particular is in my thoughts as he crossed the finish line yesterday as world champion only to see the title slip through his fingers a few seconds later. I can only imagine how painful that moment must have been for him. However, I would like to give him my very special compliments, not only for dominating the running out there on the track in front of his fans, proving he is worthy indeed of the world title, but also for his maturity and sportsmanship off the track. He's a great champion and a great man.

Lastly, I would like to send my congratulations to Lewis Hamilton, the youngest ever world champion in the history of Formula 1. He was a very powerful rival indeed and his win, close though it was, was well deserved. He'll have the number 1 on his car next season, but he can rest assured of one thing: we'll be doing our very best to put it back on a Ferrari."

Translated Q&A with Di Montezemolo:

Q: What gives you a stronger feeling: the dissapointment of Massa loosing the driver's title by a whisker or the joy of Ferrari winning the contructor's title for the eighth time in ten years ?
Di Montezemolo: ''Imagine how disappointed I was straight after the race. I've been in Formula 1 for a lifetime and have never seen a driver crossing the finish line becoming worldchampion to then still lose it in the lap of honour after a handful of seconds. But I'm equally calm: the team couldn't have done more in Brazil. It acted perfectly, just like the drivers. We've ended up with two Ferrari's in front of the McLarens, like we had to: Kimi didn't take the risk of overtaking Alonso thinking of the constructor's title. Unfortunately it was no longer in our hands: the title was dependent on a possible mistake from Hamilton.''

Q: Last year he did make that mistake, this time he didn't but was fortunate nontheless.
Di Montezemolo: ''Yes, he lost the title by a point in 2007 and this time he has won it on merit: even if it was by a hair's breadth. Being in the fight for the title for two consecutive years at such a young age means he really is a champion. Good and fast, my compliments to him.''

Q: Earlier in the season though Ferrari has thrown away a lot of opportunities...
Di Montezemolo: ''We certainly didn't loose the driver's title in Sao Paolo. We've paid the price for some reliability problems we've had related to the engine at the beginning and middle of the season, for example in Hungary. And we've made a few mistakes too many, like the refuelling incident in Singapore. But the aim was to fight till the last corner of the last Grand Prix (ironically this is what he's been saying all year indeed - AFCA) : we've been able to do that and I'm proud of it.''

Q: The balance of the post-Schumacher era so far ?
Di Montezemolo: ''An exciting one with three titles won out of the four that were up for grabs. The renewal in the team has worked.''

Q: And how much is the constructor's title worth ?
Di Montezemolo: ''It's the mirror of our power: this year again we will put the worldchampions sign on the Gran Turismo cars. The eighth time in ten years: no one has ever been able to achieve a similar undertaking. Don't forget we compete against strong teams which are the reflection of the best car industries in the world. The rivals change but we're always up there: since ten years we've been fighting for first or second place. And the advantage of 21 points over McLaren also means something.''

Q: So everyone within the team goes on to the next class ?
Di Montezemolo: ''You don't change a winning team, eventhough each year some small changes are being made. But I'm very satisfied with the work of Domenicali, Costa, Baldisserri, the whole team. People that have worked their way up within our group, which has shown to measure up to the work in hand. I've phoned them after the race to say thank you.''

Q: Massa has passed his exams. What about Raikkonen ?
Di Montezemolo: ''Felipe has shown to be a great driver and, for his behaviour, a great man also. He's been unlucky, but he's a worldchampion for us now. He has the technical quality and the personality of a leader, he's very mature. Some said he'd be going like a rocket in qualifying to then lose out in the race: he's demonstrated the contrary.''

Q: Yes, but Kimi ? He seemed demotivated...
Di Montezemolo: ''That means we'll motivate him. Firstly, up till Sunday morning he was a worldchampion too. I expect him to return to the extraordinary performance level from last season and the beginning of this one. On some occassions Hamilton made mistakes also, for instance at Spa: he was just lucky to end up in the gravel and not in the barriers. Raikkonen must not be debated, his points have been precious for the constructor's title.''

Q: So no Alonso...
Di Montezemolo: ''No. Ferrari has the strongest driver pairing of the whole field, I wouldn't change it with any other one.''

Q: But in the future ?
Di Montezemolo: ''Well, in the future anything can happen. Also that I retire. With Massa and Raikkonen we want to regain the driver's title next year and we are full of confidence to succeed in doing that.''

Q: Let's talk about the regulations. What would you change ?
Di Montezemolo: ''To begin with the amount of points that a race winne is rewarded with: Massa has won six Grand Prix', Hamilton has won five but is worldchampion nevertheless. I thought of 1976 again, that year we lost the title with Lauda by...half a point.''

Q: In reality a lot of other things will change, the aerodynamics to start off with.
Di Montezemolo: ''To me it seems that for a long time now Formula 1 has been in the grip of mindless and excessive changes. It's right to pursue a reduction of the costs, but it should be done with common sense. The new regulations on KERS are a folly like they are: they require enormous costs: in this case a single supplier could have been considered.''

Q: You don't want that to be considered for the engine though...
Di Montezemolo: ''It's unthinkable having a standard engine for everyone: it would be a contradiction: Formula 1 would lose its fundamental values that inspire the sport: competition and research.''

Q: Are the teams at war with the FIA now ?
Di Montezemolo: ''No, we have to collaborate in a positive way. Today, before flying to New York for the elections I will meet up with Mosley in London for a technical meeting to shed light on the new regulations. Apart from lowering the costs it's necessary for the revenues of the teams to go up.''
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

tresxd
car driver
car driver

Post by tresxd » 05 Nov 2008, 06:49

ya i agree. Mclaren dont deserve car no.1 and no.2 next year.they only focused on Hamilton and gave Kov a car that is not competitive enough. Ferrari have allowed both of their drivers to fight for the WDC, which shows that the team was able to provide both drivers to win. It shows that the team was better. Many drivers would rather prefer to join Ferrari rather than Mclaren.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 05 Nov 2008, 10:08

So now you're saying that Lewis is a phenomenal driver, because he has beaten a team that's better then the team where he is driving for.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 Nov 2008, 10:36

Did you ever had doubt it? yes he is phenomenal driver like every F1 Driver.

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 05 Nov 2008, 11:13

I don't doubt about it, but you Ferrari guys: I thought you would never admit it, but now you just did :p . Every F1 Driver is a phenomenal driver? yeah right :p

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 05 Nov 2008, 11:44

swca92 wrote:I'm not much of a fan of McLaren,but I'm even less of a Ferrari fan.McLaren have no charisma or excitement as a team,a team which always seemed to soulless.But I hate Ferrari,always have.When I started watching F1 they won everything,and got ridiculous luck at times (Spain 01,Magny-Cours 02 etc).Then there was their use of team orders which was farcical,and finally they're cheats.They always seemed to be pointing out other teams failings despite how they were just as bad if not worse than everyone else,and complaining if they didn't win.And the FIA have always favoured them,letting them off various offences (Silverstone 98,Sepang 99 etc).And Schumi's acts of road rage and traffic blockage don't help either.I dislike McLaren but simply hate Ferrari.

If that would have been the case, Michael would have won 10 championships. Just rewatch 96 season, 98 season, 99 season and 2006 season.

If you´re trying to demagnify Michael´s achievements and contribution to Ferrari´s success, you´re very much on the wrong side of reality.

Fact is, Lewis Hamilton and Jacques Villeneuve are the only two world champions who started their career in the best car and like Villeneuve, Hamilton has got a pretty good record now. But Villeneuve had even better stats than Hamilton after his second year, although reliability was much worse in those days. Every great champion started his career at a backmarker team, Alonso at Minardi, Senna at Toleman, Schumi at Jordan, Häkkinen at Lotus when they were s***, Lauda at March and so on.
As long as Hamilton doesn´t show his class in a mediocre car, he´s no great champ for me.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 Nov 2008, 12:00

joostlamers wrote:I don't doubt about it, but you Ferrari guys: I thought you would never admit it, but now you just did :p . Every F1 Driver is a phenomenal driver? yeah right :p
Why did you need our approval or verification from us? :laugh1:
You can't deny that Hamilton has preferential support inside the team which Massa didn't had atleast for 16 races i.e. to race against 1 less competitor. :O

blizzard: you can't cure them :p

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 05 Nov 2008, 12:01

blizzard wrote:If that would have been the case, Michael would have won 10 championships. Just rewatch 96 season, 98 season, 99 season and 2006 season.

If you´re trying to demagnify Michael´s achievements and contribution to Ferrari´s success, you´re very much on the wrong side of reality.

Fact is, Lewis Hamilton and Jacques Villeneuve are the only two world champions who started their career in the best car and like Villeneuve, Hamilton has got a pretty good record now. But Villeneuve had even better stats than Hamilton after his second year, although reliability was much worse in those days. Every great champion started his career at a backmarker team, Alonso at Minardi, Senna at Toleman, Schumi at Jordan, Häkkinen at Lotus when they were s***, Lauda at March and so on.
As long as Hamilton doesn´t show his class in a mediocre car, he´s no great champ for me.
Hellooo, it is not in the rules that you have to start with a smaller team, you're talking absolute rubbish now.