FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Who will the 2008 Chinese Grand Prix?

Poll ended at 18 Oct 2008, 18:50

Lewis Hamilton
24
33%
Felipe Massa
25
35%
Robert Kubica
9
13%
Kimi Räikkönen
9
13%
Nick Heidfeld
0
No votes
Heikki Kovalainen
0
No votes
Fernando Alonso
5
7%
Sebastian Vettel
0
No votes
Jarno Trulli
0
No votes
Timo Glock
0
No votes
Nico Rosberg
0
No votes
Nelsinho Piquet
0
No votes
Kazuki Nakajima
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 72

User avatar
Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Posts: 4153
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 15:26
Location: Bombay
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Zack » 19 Oct 2008, 17:54

Last year was abnormal :laugh1: ..don't expect miracle(mistakes) this year.
Felipe Massa has nothing to lose ..Brazil will be FLAT OUT from him :O
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Mitsuro Sano
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver
Posts: 462
Joined: 18 Mar 2008, 20:58

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Mitsuro Sano » 19 Oct 2008, 18:01

Hey! Don't forget the magical button for McLaren ( joke! )
For sure, Massa will win his home race as he has nothing to lose, but Hamilton is not so strong under pressure. By the way, why Hamilton can't change his engine with his joker? Because of the Kovalainen retirement on purpose?

User avatar
JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion
Posts: 11852
Joined: 25 May 2007, 21:38
Location: Tilburg
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by JoostLamers » 19 Oct 2008, 18:06

Mitsuro Sano wrote:Hey! Don't forget the magical button for McLaren ( joke! )
For sure, Massa will win his home race as he has nothing to lose, but Hamilton is not so strong under pressure. By the way, why Hamilton can't change his engine with his joker? Because of the Kovalainen retirement on purpose?

You're not alowed to do that, it's in the rules :O
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at
Image

User avatar
shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier
Posts: 6531
Joined: 11 May 2008, 09:03
Location: Classified

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by shailf1 » 19 Oct 2008, 18:38

AzShadow wrote:
Ali wrote:Hamilton's such pace remembered me Schumacher 2004. In one week time, what might have changed so dramatically? Quite interesting. Lewis seems to get a boost from those criticisim and disliking towards him. He reacted very very solidly. I'm very happy for him for at least he's now a relieved guy.

It could have been something to do with the tyre compounds and temperatures (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71613). From what I've seen Ferrari works the best with the softest compounds and when it's hot like Brazil last year. For this year they have hardened the compounds for Brazil though, to McLaren's convenience, so we'll see if Ferrari has any advantage anymore.

Remember the last race where bridgestone brought the hard and the medium compound......Germany!!
Ring a bell?

User avatar
Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 2476
Joined: 07 Oct 2007, 21:13
Location: Istanbul
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Ali » 19 Oct 2008, 18:51

shail69 wrote:
AzShadow wrote:It could have been something to do with the tyre compounds and temperatures (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71613). From what I've seen Ferrari works the best with the softest compounds and when it's hot like Brazil last year. For this year they have hardened the compounds for Brazil though, to McLaren's convenience, so we'll see if Ferrari has any advantage anymore.

Remember the last race where bridgestone brought the hard and the medium compound......Germany!!
Ring a bell?

Yes but Bridgestone had also brought the same tyre allocations into Spain and Turkey, where Ferrari dominated. However, those races were held in warmer conditions while Germany and China were quite cool.

In Brazil, we'll have Soft and Medium compound like in Japanese GP. It may be in favour of Ferrari but air temperature is also important. It's not just tyres.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Moe
car driver
car driver
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Oct 2008, 07:36
Location: Bahrain

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Moe » 20 Oct 2008, 05:23

What a race,

Sad that Kimi or Massa didn't make a move but the thing I hope for next race is that someone will sacrifice himself by crashing and making sure Lewis does not score a point :P - I already did it in my head haha :)

User avatar
Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Posts: 4153
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 15:26
Location: Bombay
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Zack » 20 Oct 2008, 06:04

Ali wrote:
shail69 wrote:
AzShadow wrote:It could have been something to do with the tyre compounds and temperatures (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71613). From what I've seen Ferrari works the best with the softest compounds and when it's hot like Brazil last year. For this year they have hardened the compounds for Brazil though, to McLaren's convenience, so we'll see if Ferrari has any advantage anymore.

Remember the last race where bridgestone brought the hard and the medium compound......Germany!!
Ring a bell?

Yes but Bridgestone had also brought the same tyre allocations into Spain and Turkey, where Ferrari dominated. However, those races were held in warmer conditions while Germany and China were quite cool.

In Brazil, we'll have Soft and Medium compound like in Japanese GP. It may be in favour of Ferrari but air temperature is also important. It's not just tyres.

Its not just tyre & temperature .... Ferrari's updates to resolve those issue are not well suited to Massa .. but its working for Kimi now!.Now Ferrari have different car for both the drivers :laugh1: Visibly:Kimi has switch to old suspensions + engine cover.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

User avatar
AzShadow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1866
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 13:46
Location: Finland

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by AzShadow » 20 Oct 2008, 07:15

Indeed, at the start of the season the car suited Kimi very well. Then they developed it and it only made Massa's driving better, but for Kimi it went backwards. So now they're using old parts on Kimi's car and so he's suddenly beating Massa again. It's too late now, though. Ferrari should have listened Kimi earlier as a different development path could have resulted in a much better season on Kimi's part.

Next season they probably have to design the cars separately for both of their drivers from scratch and this will cause a lot of extra work. But I guess it's the only way to have 2 competitive drivers compared to McLaren who is just competing with one driver. Kovalainen was strong at the start of the season, but then McLaren's developments aided Hamilton's driving and Heikki had to start to learn Hamilton's driving style, which makes things quite difficult.
Image

User avatar
Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 2476
Joined: 07 Oct 2007, 21:13
Location: Istanbul
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Ali » 20 Oct 2008, 07:46

Heikki is strong. No doubt about it. McLaren just didn't give him a chance, even a lighter car in Q3. He was forced to play a supporting role by fuelling heavy and testing tyres. Race by race, Heikki's mood also changed. He was cheerful at the beginning of the season now he's very much down. Lewis may be quicker than him, it's OK, but I don't think McLaren gave a chance Heikki to fight for the win.

In Ferrari's situation, I don't think that new developments didn't suit Massa's style. In Hungary and Singapore he dominated the race and both outqualified and outclassified Kimi. In Japan, they tried a different strategy in qualifying which didn't work. Indeed fastest lap went to Felipe. He was very very strong at the race. I guess China is one-off for Massa and Kimi. It's another Germany GP, nothing more. This car is well suited to Massa and Kimi managed to drive it. Maybe he started to use Massa's setup. He said they found a new set-up way and it worked for him in qualifying. In winter, Ferrari planned a huge test session for only Kimi to understand and drive the new car. http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3132.shtml
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

User avatar
JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion
Posts: 11852
Joined: 25 May 2007, 21:38
Location: Tilburg
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by JoostLamers » 20 Oct 2008, 10:06

Fastest Lap times:
Image
Didn't expect Nick so quick :p
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at
Image

User avatar
Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie
Posts: 869
Joined: 13 Feb 2008, 14:07
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Arrows_F1 » 20 Oct 2008, 11:18

Trulli blames Bourdais for first-corner exit

Formula1.com wrote:"Away from the line I was side-by-side with Sebastian Vettel but I had to give up on him because he had the inside line,” said Trulli. “Then Sebastien Bourdais suddenly hit the right side of my car at the rear and damaged it. It is frustrating because he did this once before this year at Spa, where he also ruined my race at the first corner. Today I couldn't carry on which is a pity because we had a very good chance of more points.”


Full article here: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/10/8568.html
Image

Lemans3
kart driver
kart driver
Posts: 72
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 09:46

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Lemans3 » 20 Oct 2008, 14:00

Yes, that's my question too!
If you look at the pressconference (www.f1video2008.blogspot.com) Massa is sweating like hell to answer the question regarding Kimi letting him by. (best part of the race, Come on Felipe, Kimi was much, I mean Much quicker than you!).
And then Kimi, He laughed already before the guy finished the question :laugh1: And that is honest: He knew what the team expects and doesn't make a :s out of it.
AzShadow wrote:Why won't Massa even admit what really happened between him and Kimi. :tired:

bleeding eye
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver
Posts: 492
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 20:35
Location: Weert, HOLLAND
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by bleeding eye » 20 Oct 2008, 14:26

because then he admints it was an teamorder. and then the fia wil give him a penalty I think
Battles are won by those with the courage to believe.
They are won by those who find a heart, find a heart to share.

User avatar
Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin
Posts: 4153
Joined: 27 Jun 2007, 15:26
Location: Bombay
Contact:

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Zack » 20 Oct 2008, 14:31

Ali wrote:Heikki is strong. No doubt about it. McLaren just didn't give him a chance, even a lighter car in Q3. He was forced to play a supporting role by fuelling heavy and testing tyres. Race by race, Heikki's mood also changed. He was cheerful at the beginning of the season now he's very much down. Lewis may be quicker than him, it's OK, but I don't think McLaren gave a chance Heikki to fight for the win.

Strong :huh: so far he has not shown any resistance to Ron Dennis orders.I don't want to say this but can't resist he has been on knees so far!.He should have showed some fight at least.I m afraid Heikki's Career is following DC's path.

Ali wrote: In winter, Ferrari planned a huge test session for only Kimi to understand and drive the new car. http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3132.shtml

Kimi said something like this "do you want me start it tomorrow" :laugh1:

Lemans3 wrote:Yes, that's my question too!
If you look at the pressconference (http://www.f1video2008.blogspot.com) Massa is sweating like hell to answer the question regarding Kimi letting him by. (best part of the race, Come on Felipe, Kimi was much, I mean Much quicker than you!).
And then Kimi, He laughed already before the guy finished the question :laugh1: And that is honest: He knew what the team expects and doesn't make a :s out of it.
AzShadow wrote:Why won't Massa even admit what really happened between him and Kimi. :tired:

I don't know what you asking for ... confess & invite Fia's investigation :oh:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

User avatar
AzShadow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1866
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 13:46
Location: Finland

Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix

Post by AzShadow » 20 Oct 2008, 14:35

Zack wrote:
Ali wrote:Heikki is strong. No doubt about it. McLaren just didn't give him a chance, even a lighter car in Q3. He was forced to play a supporting role by fuelling heavy and testing tyres. Race by race, Heikki's mood also changed. He was cheerful at the beginning of the season now he's very much down. Lewis may be quicker than him, it's OK, but I don't think McLaren gave a chance Heikki to fight for the win.

Strong :huh: so far he has not shown any resistance to Ron Dennis orders.I don't want to say this but can't resist he has been on knees so far!.He should have showed some fight at least.
Kovalainen doesn't have any leverage. If McLaren wanted, they could end his F1 career for good. Alonso was a double champion so he could actually demand things from McLaren or just leave the team and still continue his career in a good team.
Image

Locked