It is currently 24 Aug 2017, 10:32

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next

Who will the 2008 Chinese Grand Prix?
Poll ended at 18 Oct 2008, 18:50
Lewis Hamilton 33%  33%  [ 24 ]
Felipe Massa 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
Robert Kubica 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Kimi Räikkönen 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Nick Heidfeld 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Heikki Kovalainen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Fernando Alonso 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Sebastian Vettel 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jarno Trulli 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Timo Glock 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nico Rosberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nelsinho Piquet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Kazuki Nakajima 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Re: FORMULA 1 2008 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 18:24  
Co-Admin

AzShadow wrote:
Reports say that Mercedes are worried about Hamilton's engine. Kovalainen used his joker engine change between Monza and Singapore when they had concerns about the reliability of the engine. Now in Japan the engine that was supposed to be more reliable blew up. Hamilton is using the same engine spec.

Reminds me of Massa's engine failure in Hungary and then Kimi's at the next race when he had been using the same kind of engine. I wonder if McLaren will be facing the same situation.

Is the source of this reports reliable?

In Ferrari's case it was piston manufacturing defect .. i think its different in Mclaren's case.

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 18:25  
F1 Rookie

megasyxx wrote:
MP4/4#12 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
yeah, he did go a bit OTT. I think that means hell be back sometime Sunday

Hmm, that`s why he didn`t answer my post !!! Why was he banned for ?

i've just read it here the other day > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3515

Thx megasyxx. didn`t realise, who`s the ofended ? Iceman and Twisted "sounded" bad in those posts !!!!! :p
Anyway, next week he`ll be back to more "Hamilton will rule the world " stuff :)
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 18:27  
F1 Rookie

Zack wrote:
AzShadow wrote:
Reports say that Mercedes are worried about Hamilton's engine. Kovalainen used his joker engine change between Monza and Singapore when they had concerns about the reliability of the engine. Now in Japan the engine that was supposed to be more reliable blew up. Hamilton is using the same engine spec.

Reminds me of Massa's engine failure in Hungary and then Kimi's at the next race when he had been using the same kind of engine. I wonder if McLaren will be facing the same situation.

In Ferrari's case it was piston manufacturing defect .. i think its different in Mclaren's case.

i think it`s just a rumour, if it was that bad they would change it and loose those places rather than retire in the race, right ?
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 18:34  
F1 Driver

Zack wrote:
AzShadow wrote:

I guess his point is the "same" batch not the same failure. Lewis' engine is of the same batch of failed Heikki's so that might be an indication whether Lewis' engine may experience same kind of failure related to the same batch. Remember, the same conrod had caused the same problem in Ferrari.

Where did you hear that news Az?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 18:56  
Co-Admin

my bad .. i forgot conrod &doh .

I agree to what Azshadow said but i m just saying mclaren might not particularly have same conrod problem.But even that can't be ruled out...!

Quoting Sam Michael :
"Fuji also has high altitudes; it's approximately 570m above sea level, which is close to that in Brazil. This causes a loss of downforce, drag and engine power because the air is not as dense."

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 19:00  

McLaren must change his engine then and take the penalty. You can overtake at Shanghai!!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 19:02  
F1 Driver

Zack wrote:
i m just saying mclaren might not particularly have same conrod problem.

Yeah not necessarily a conrod problem but anything else that might be in the same batch thus leaving Lewis may have the same headache. First of all, we need to confirm that news. Quite interesting if Lewis would change his engine.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 19:39  
phil1993 wrote:
McLaren must change his engine then and take the penalty. You can overtake at Shanghai!!

They don`t get a penalty because he will be allowed to change the engine with the "joker"

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 20:15  

Ali wrote:
Where did you hear that news Az?

It's from Finnish paper Turun Sanomat. I'd say it's quite reliable. Anyway, we'll see what McLaren will do during the next weekend.

I'm a bit confused about the engine change regulations though.
The duration of the engine homologation period is likely to be five years, and competitors will now be able to make their first engine change during the season without a grid penalty being imposed. However, this change may only be made in the event of a genuine failure.

The ‘free’ first engine change is a significant change to the rules, but cannot be exploited as a ‘joker’ owing to the fact that it must be as a result of a genuine technical failure.

I wonder how do they define what is a genuine failure then. Because Massa's and Kovalainen's engines were changed pretty much all of a sudden and in Heikki's case they said that the possibility that something would have occured was only minimal. Funny too that the quote claims that it can't be exploited as 'joker' but still everyone calls it that way and think about using it as a tactical advantage.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 04:52  
Co-Admin

Turun Sanomat O.K. :) ...they actually get quite interesting technical news ..i m taking about F2008.

...yet another Rule that is technically unspecific. :@:2

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 11:27  
kart driver

In case Massa is going to score better than Hamy in China and suppose he' leading the championship when they had to Interlagos, I'm not so sure if that would be a real advantage for Massa. The whole world (especially the brazilian fans at the circuit) will I guess feel like an immense pressure to him. Hamy and Kubica would have less pressure and may act cooler. But who knows, maybe this year's title goes to where the FIA wants it to go, which is a shame actually. After reading all the comments regarding lately's penaltys (Belgium, Japan etc) I believe no one is really happy with all the influence of the FIA. I have to say however that I still feel that FIA is treating Ferrari very "gentle". :O
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 12:06  
F1 Driver

Kimi Raikkonen: “Now we're going to China. Let's see what we can do there, where I won last year. Shanghai is a very demanding track and I really like it. Our goal is a one-two win. I'll give it all to help Felipe and the team to gain the results we want.”

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 14:51  
Co-Admin

AFCA || Ferrari PR wrote:
Massa: I like the Shanghai circuit

"The Japanese Grand Prix last Sunday, was certainly interesting! It's always important to score more points than our closest rivals at this point in the championship, with just two races to go, so we can be pleased that we managed to do that. It was definitely not the race we had expected to have, but in the end, it was a reasonable result, with the team moving back into the lead in the Constructors' championship and for me, reducing my gap to Lewis in the Drivers' from 7 to 5. But there are still those five points, so we need to recover even more, but I think, the Japanese result was better than nothing.''

"After the bad weather last year, it was enjoyable to have more time running at Fuji in the dry. I like the circuit and I think the race was pretty interesting, with plenty of overtaking and battles, which meant it was an enjoyable experience for the drivers, but also the fans who came to watch. We had some fun and on what is quite a difficult track, our car was quite competitive, which means I think we can expect to be equally competitive for the final two rounds of the championship.''

"I left Fuji on Sunday night a few hours after the race and came to Tokyo. I usually try and spend some time in Tokyo which I think is a fascinating city. I love it. It's a nice place to be and although it is similar in some ways to other large cities like New York or maybe even Sao Paolo, it is also very unique and different; certainly less chaotic than my home city! There are plenty of places to visit, the hotels are good and the choice of restaurants is amazing. I have my wife and some of my family with me, so shopping has also been on the agenda and I think my credit cards must be on fire at the moment !''

"I fly to Shanghai on Wednesday and then, the following day I will be attending the Chinese launch of the new Ferrari California road car: it will be the third race in succession that I've done this. And then it will be time to get down to work again. Last year, in Shanghai, I finished third in a race that began in the wet. The track itself is quite interesting and everything there is on a very big scale, although the journey to and from the circuit can be a bit painful at times with the heavy traffic. I had quite a good race last year and hope to do even better this time. I like the circuit and I think it will suit the F2008, so of course we will be aiming to get a one-two finish."

------------------------------------

Raikkonen: "Our goal is a one-two win"

''We were so low that the result at Fuji got a whole new significance. Finally I managed to start from the first row and end the race with a podium finish. The Team was really glad about the points we brought back home and that we managed to get back in the lead in the Constructors' Championship. I have to admit that the second place in the qualifying and the third one in the race are not exactly what I was looking for, because I had the possibility to gain the pole and to win the race on Sunday.''

''The Team worked day and night to improve the car, but in the end my weekend wasn't so different from many others this year. Finding the right set up seems to depend too much on the weather conditions. We know that we got the right potential, but quite often it seems really difficult to find the right way to exploit it all the way. We'll nevertheless continue to give it a try - all the time. The start went well. I was ahead of the rest, just like we had planned. And when you turn into the first corner in front of everybody else, you should be there also when you come out of it. I have no idea what the drivers behind me were thinking. They braked so late that it was impossible to avoid the following chaos. It was an inexplainable mistake by the two cars from McLaren, who actually expelled me from the fight for victory at the Japanese GP. If I had managed to get unharmed through the first corner, I could have won. But instead of leading I was again stuck behind slower cars. We gave it our best, but we didn't have the possibility to race with a free track. I managed to overtake Trulli and I could have passed also Kubica during the second pitstop. But I was stuck behind Rosberg and lost precious seconds. I tried to pass Kubica a couple of times on the track where it was possible to overtake; we fought, but we both didn't lift the foot from the throttle and therefore I got off the track in corner 3. Later on I didn't want to risk too much. It was more important to gain an important third place.''

''It's true Sunday's result was a "sayonara" to the Drivers' title although I knew since Spa that there wasn't much hope left. I should have won them, because then I still could have decided over my own destiny. But after the retirement it was just a question of time. Since January I tell you that I give it my best to win the title again. And if I won't win I'll try it again next year. I know how to become a World Champion. Now we're going to China. Let's see what we can do there, where I won last year. Shanghai is a very demanding track and I really like it. Our goal is a one-two win. I'll give it all to help Felipe and the Team to gain the results we want.''

From Kimi's Blog (translated [unreliable]) .. Lewis Fans Avoid this :@:2
Spoiler:
Quote:
From Kimi's official column;

'Sayonara to the championship'

We have really dug so deep, that the results we achieved at Fuji felt quite nice. Finally we finished the race, we started from the front row and got back to the podium. Obviously, the team was happy to get good points and climb back to the leading position in the constructor’s championship.

But I have to say, that the second place in qualifying and the third place in the race are not exactly what we wanted. It was annoying to know that we had so good chance for the pole and, most of all, for the win on Sunday.

The team has been working day and night to improve the car. But, for me, it was that same old story all over again. Setting up the car the way I like it to be depends too much on the weather and on the circuit. We know the speed is there in our car. We just have to find the right set-up to maximise it every time.

And we will!

The start was good. We got the lead, like we planned and when you turn first to the first corner, you should be leading after that. I cannot understand what they were thinking there behind me. They came much too fast to that breaking point and caused a big problem for many people.

You have to learn how to find the breaking points already when you six years old while starting with GO Karts. Obviously, you should know how it goes at this level.

I don’t know about the others, but, at least, my father Matti put sticks on the right places for me and for my brother to know where to brake. That’s how you learn that lesson the best and you remember it always where ever you race.

At Fuji the fight for the victory was over for me already in the first corner. Both McLarens came too quickly and I could not turn to the first corner. The worst thing was losing so many places. If I just could have took the lead, like I should have after that start, probably we would have won it easily. But now we got stuck behind the others, we did our best, but we never got back to the positions where you have the advantage of using the clean air in front of you.

I managed to overtake Trulli and we should have been able to overtake Kubica in the second pitstop. Unfortunately there was one car in front of me in my inlap and we lost a fracture of the time also at the pitstop. That was enough to miss the chance to get back to the circuit in front of Kubica.

At Fuji you have a couple of places to overtake people. I was trying to fight and once I got beside Robert and little bit ahead of him, too, coming to the third corner. It was a good fight, neither of us did lift, so I had to go wide. After that all we could do was to bring the car home third.

That was Sayonara to the drivers’ championship. Really I didn’t think of the title after Spa. I should have won in Belgium, because that would have been the only way to control the point situation. Now it was just a matter of time, when it was over.

I have been telling since January, that we do our best to win the championship again and if that’s not working out, we will try again next year. That’s what we are going to do now. I know what it takes to win the championship back.

This week we go to China. Let’s wait and see what we are able to do there. Last year we won the race. Shanghai is a challenging circuit and I like it very much. Now we aim at getting 1-2 result for Ferrari and bringing the best points for the team.

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 15:25  
F1 Driver

Slightly hypocritical that Kimi should talk about braking points. Australia anyone?
Muppet. :p
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 15:38  

lol. fergie, but then you could say about Lewis in Canada :p

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next