Timo Glock
No votes
Vettel
3%

Total votes: 98

phil1993

Re: 2008 Formula 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 28 Sep 2008, 16:26

FIA should ban that light system until it passes an official FIA test. It's dangerous. the fuel hose man gets injured.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 28 Sep 2008, 16:27

phil1993 wrote:steady on! Lewis had a 12 point lead going to China last year and he lost it!
This year he is not doing it .. He is a much better driver in the second half of the season than the first half .. So i m hoping that Hamilton wins Chinese GP !!

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 28 Sep 2008, 16:27

sanredrose wrote:
uncleben wrote: Also did anyone else see that ferrari went to using the lollipop after the light/valve malfunction.
Interesting .. Probably ferrari decided to get their basics right !
They switched to lollipop because the automatic lighting system was corrupted.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 28 Sep 2008, 16:28

iceman1 wrote:Hey sanredrose Nice to see you again here :p

Hamilton did a Good Race , Kovalainen was a disgrace to McLaren. Imagine lapping 1.5 seconds slower than your teammate in clean air with a similar fuel load and on the same tyres.
hello matey .. i was half awake when the race started .. only when it got over i was completely awake !! :wave:

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 28 Sep 2008, 16:29

phil1993 wrote:FIA should ban that light system until it passes an official FIA test. It's dangerous. the fuel hose man gets injured.
Does the light system come under the supervision of FIA ? I thought Ferrari introduced it avoid human errors.

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 28 Sep 2008, 16:33

There is nothing wrong with the lights system. It probably should be made mandatory. This way there is no excuse for the mechanic getting his arm tired, shaking it a little and giving the wrong impression to the driver.

The human element remains and lollipop (Coulthard/Red Bull) or lights...the dude responsible with the go-ahead simply...got it wrong.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 28 Sep 2008, 16:37

f1anatic wrote:There is nothing wrong with the lights system. It probably should be made mandatory. This way there is no excuse for the mechanic getting his arm tired, shaking it a little and giving the wrong impression to the driver.

The human element remains and lollipop (Coulthard/Red Bull) or lights...the dude responsible with the go-ahead simply...got it wrong.
I think you have raised the point of human error being more frequent than the machine error. Probably he is right, the light system could have been completely thrown off by some misleading inputs. Having said that how can that light system be sure not to release the car into another car on the pitlane ??? Any ideas for this ??? In my opinion human decisions at high precision systems like racing, race strategy and pit stops is more optimal than machines.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Sep 2008, 17:13

With Kimi's crash, it was a foolish mistake but that chicane should be remove: its horrible

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 28 Sep 2008, 17:16

The lights system is operated by a mechanic. They just changed to using powerpoint from using the overhead projector. THe quality of the presentation is still dependent on the quality & skills of the presenter.

THOUGH, you can think of some sensors and lasers which could give a signal if a car is say...inside the perimeter allocated to Team Ferrari (as an example). The moment a competitor enters the perimeter of anotherone (of course by this I mean the pitlane segment) a warning light could be displayed on a switchboard rather than relying on solely a line of sight. And commands could be written to override a green given by mechanic if a competitor's car is in the immediate vicinity. Same with the hose which reportedly has a warning light which tells you when it is connected and when it is disconnected. You cannot engineer a solution for every problem...but you can engineer helpful devices and systems to minimize human error.

I disagree. Race strategy and pitstops are calculated using computers. Those folks choose race strategy based on computer algorithms being fed lap times and fuel loads, track positions and traffic and competitors' positions and what have you. I doubt there is any pen and paper or whimsimical decision when it comes to strategy unless unplanned events like accidents during safety cars and all of a sudden starts to rain type of situations.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 28 Sep 2008, 17:17

Some statistics:

- Ferrari's point streak of 46 races ended
- Heidfeld has the most consecutive finishes with 25 races, very solid but unnoticed driver :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Sep 2008, 17:18

f1 website wrote:
Driver Quotes

Renault’s Fernando Alonso on taking his first Formula One victory for a year; Ferrari’s Felipe Massa on the fuel-hose problem which could spell disaster for his championship challenge; and Williams’ Nico Rosberg on securing a career-best finish. All 20 drivers report back on Sunday’s action…

Fernando Alonso, Renault (1st):
“This is a fantastic result - my first podium of the season; my first victory and I’m very happy, although I think it will take several days for me to realise what we have achieved. Wining a Grand Prix here just seemed to be impossible because we missed our chance yesterday in qualifying, but we were very fortunate today and it’s a superb result for the team. We chose a very aggressive strategy and we had a bit of luck, but we had the pace and the car was fantastic throughout the weekend.”

Nico Rosberg, Williams (2nd):
"It was a race of so many ups and downs for me. It started badly as I ended up behind a heavy Jarno Trulli and I absolutely had to get by him to allow my strategy to work. It was quite a hairy moment getting past because it is so bumpy to outbrake at Turn Seven and I couldn’t get close at Turn One, the only two places where overtaking is possible. Anyway, having eventually cleared him, I couldn’t believe it when I saw that the safety car had come out just after the team had called me in for my stop and I thought that’s the end of it. Before my stop-go penalty, I just had to push like mad and do qualifying lap after qualifying lap and I managed to build enough of a gap to complete my second stop and hold on to second place. With a handful or laps to go in the most physical race this year and a car in your mirrors, time goes amazingly slowly, but for once everything went our way. I think Frank will have to wear his lucky tartan trousers again!"

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (3rd):
"A positive end to a difficult weekend at this fantastic new venue. I started well, but then my rear tyres faded and, although we had good pace, I wasn't in a position to challenge Felipe ahead of me. During my first pit stop I lost a bit of time because everybody came in due to the Safety Car period. After that I was unfortunately stuck behind David and although I was clearly faster it was really difficult to overtake him. After the second re-start, I tried to stay as close as possible behind Nico; however, I didn't want to take chances - particularly as the Ferraris were outside the points. Also, this is not a track where overtaking is easy. The first night race in Formula 1 history was great fun, and I now look forward to the forthcoming double-header in Japan and China."

Timo Glock, Toyota (4th):
"I am happy with the job I did; I made no mistakes and fourth is a good result. It was quite tough out there in these conditions and with such a bumpy track the car was not very comfortable to drive; I am sure I will feel the effects tomorrow. My goal at the beginning of the year was to score 20 points this season so I am very satisfied to achieve that with three races still to go. However, I am fighting for the team to help them finish fourth in the constructors' championship and we were a bit unlucky with that today, but congratulations to Fernando, who did a great job. Now we will go to Fuji and aim to recover the lost ground."

Sebastian Vettel, Toro Rosso (5th):
“Overall, this was a good race for us, even if the Safety Car didn’t help. It was a difficult race for everyone, but the important thing is we have scored some more points. The hardest elements in the race were dealing with the heat and concentrating not to make any mistakes, as it could be very easy to clip a kerb. I tried to keep the car on track but still push like crazy. It was one of the toughest races of the season, but I think with everything that happened, this was the best result we could get. Maybe fourth might have been possible if I hadn’t lost a place to Timo (Glock) when I missed a braking point, but we can be happy with this fifth place.”

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (6th):
"Although I shouldn't complain about finishing sixth when I came from ninth, I must say it is such a shame I couldn't show my pace today. The car was so good and I could have gone a lot faster if I hadn't been stuck in traffic all the time. I was even saving fuel and tyres because I hoped the others would kill their tyres and I could attack later. I think some did ruin their rubber, but still this wasn't enough of an advantage to overtake. I had a good start during which I managed to pass Nico Rosberg. However, because of how the race turned out for me I hardly sweated at all."

David Coulthard, Red Bull (7th):
“That was my second points finish this year, so I’ve got to be happy with today’s result. As far as the second pit stop went, the guys have been great this year and the work that they did on Saturday morning to get my car out so I could do a run was quite remarkable, so I’m not going to point any fingers at them. It’s just one of those things. There was a misunderstanding between some of the guys and I go when the lollipop comes up, but these things happen. Thankfully we got some points today. It was incredibly bumpy out there, you can’t see the braking down into Turn Seven and it was as hot as hell.”

Kazuki Nakajima, Williams (8th):
"It was a great day for the team, returning to form and of course congratulations to Nico. As far as my race was concerned, the safety car timing was a little bit unfortunate, but I just had to push my race pace on regardless of what happened and overtake a few cars, and in the end, it was great to claim a point for the first time in a while. Hopefully today showed potential which we can try to maintain for the rest of the season."

Jenson Button, Honda (9th):
"Yes, it was one of those races today where luck and the timing of the safety car could make or break your race. Unfortunately luck was not on our side and the timing of the two safety cars hurt our two-stop strategy. In addition to that, we were just not competitive or quick enough as I was struggling for balance for much of the race. To finish in ninth position is always frustrating as you are just outside of the points."

Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren (10th):
"I made a good start and was going to pass Kubica round the outside at the first two corners. Unfortunately he touched me and almost spun me around. My underfloor was slightly damaged as a result. I lost momentum and two cars overtook me. When the safety car came out and the pitlane was opened a couple of laps later, Lewis and I came in and I had to wait behind him until it was my turn. It then was a strange race and most of the time I was in traffic with no overtaking chances. Halfway through the race I had brake problems and had to conserve them until the finish. I’m happy for Lewis and the team now that he has extended the championship lead and we are on top of the Constructors’ rankings. I will now go for it in the next races and help to make sure that we stay ahead in both championships."

Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber (11th):
"The race was physically very hard. There are so many bumps, I hope the organisers will work on the surface for next year. On top of that, the visibility was getting worse and worse as I was getting tired. Over the final fifteen laps I had an incredible headache. The decision not to pit on the first lap when the pit lane was closed because of the safety car was unlucky, and cost me a good race result as the cars behind me closed the gap. The team thought the pit lane would reopen very soon, but this was not the case. However, that's racing."

Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso (12th):
“It was a tough race. When I was running on my own my brake balance was fine, but once I was in traffic I kept losing the front end, even with all the brake bias on the rear. I know it was difficult to pass here, but I was even having difficulty following other cars and didn’t know where my limit was. It was a really tough race physically too, given how long it was and the lack of air coming through the cockpit and with a long last stint, I was running a heavy fuel load which meant my tyres were suffering towards the end. It’s been a long night.”

Felipe Massa, Ferrari (13th):
To follow.

Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India (14th):
"It was a long, hard race, but I have to say we really did the maximum possible. A big thank you to everyone on the team who did such a fantastic job to get the car going again after the accidents yesterday and for giving me a car we could really race with. It was great to be back racing again and I think we had a good strategy that let us move up a few places. In the final few laps I had a small problem, but I'm really pleased we could get to the finish."

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari (15th):
To follow. [Sipping Vodka under the darkness of Turn 10

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (DNF):
"The race was going pretty well, I was on a one-stop strategy and I made a good start. After the safety car, I was one of the quickest on the track and I led the race for several laps. But in the end a weekend which started pretty bad has finished even worse. I had a hydraulic problem when I would have finished in fifth; that would have been good points from a weekend which has been quite hard for me. I am exhausted because I am so disappointed. I have been fighting really hard and doing a good job but when that bad luck comes you can't do anything about it. I think I am owed a lot of good luck after that."

Adrian Sutil, Force India (DNF):
"I think it was a good race as the race pace was good and I felt really confident in the car. We lost a little in the first safety car period as we were a little too late coming into the pits but after that it was nice to be able to push. It was just so unlucky when Felipe spun in front of me and then suddenly pulled away. The way was blocked, but I avoided a crash with him only to go into the barrier myself. It's really disappointing as we've had so much bad luck already this year. It's Fuji next though, which I really enjoy and know I can perform well on."

Mark Webber, Red Bull (DNF):
“I lost seventh and then fifth gear, which cost us a fantastic result, as I was stopping for my second pit stop later than Fernando (Alonso). It would have been nice to
share the podium with him today, with him winning and me second. We got a bit lucky with the safety car, but in the end it didn’t work out. We had some good pace in the second stint and it was looking good. Overall, the event here has been very impressive, I think we should do more night racing.”

Rubens Barrichello, Honda (DNF):
"Coming into the race from 18th on the grid, we were obviously hoping for any eventuality to help us move further up the grid. That opportunity came on lap 14 when my engineer made a brilliant call following Piquet's crash. I came into the pits just before the safety car was called and when I rejoined I would have been in a strong position. But then the engine just died. I had lots of fuel on board and my place was great because I had good pace and was keeping up with the whole group in front of me. So we could have had a great end to the race. We lost a great opportunity today and obviously I feel very sad about that."

Nelson Piquet, Renault (DNF):
“From the start of the race things were complicated and I had a lot of graining and the situation got worse and worse. The team asked me to push, which I tried to do and finally I lost the rear of my car. I hit the wall heavily but I’m ok. I am disappointed with my race but obviously very happy for the team this evening.”

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 28 Sep 2008, 17:21

Maybe too much tech, or gizmos ? Not only the fuel was still entering, Massa almost hit the Force India. Does this means the safety concerns are out ? Just follow your own lights system, if the green pops out....GO !!!! Oh sh!t! a car was coming, and a mechanic was run over !!! And most important, the championship is still open but this was a huge stroke on Massa, everytime he closes the gap to Hamilton, there`s always something that happens to him, blowned engine or this. If this would be related with a smaller team i would (hardly) get it, but Ferrari?!?!? Why to loose a championship because of a fancy lights system ?

morsus
kart driver
kart driver

Post by morsus » 28 Sep 2008, 17:21

Thx to safety car. Otherwise it would have been valencia all over again, as some predicted.
Lucky, but very nice drive by Alonso, although Rosberg was a bit unlucky with is pitstop timing.
Awful Ferrari pit.
Awful kimi for the last * races (*was going to write few..but they're becoming so many now..).
Awful Kovalainen. Again.
Awful Piquet.
Not so good for the Bemies.
Not so good Massa. When not in lead position he accumulates mistakes.
Not so good for the championship battle as hamilton just needs three 2nd places to become champ. It would have been great a kubica win and no points massa and hamilton.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Sep 2008, 17:23

hit the nail on the head there Filipe

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 28 Sep 2008, 17:31

I do not understand why is Massa being criticized. He got the pole, he kept the distance...he got screwed by his team. Sure he had that spin there...but you cannot tell how his car (or brakes) were suffering. On Speed TV they were commenting that the Carbon Industrie brakes on Lewis and Kimmi were lasting better than the Brembos that Massa chose. Factor in some overcooking glitch caused by the minute long wait for the hose to be undone...and the frustration he had in him...no wonder he did not do anything after that. Massa did not put a foot wrong here...he was just pushed off the catwalk by his own dudes. And no...he ain't the multiple championship material either, but compared to Kimmi this year, he looks like it.