Re: 2008 Formula 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

Post by RoCkSt@R » 26 Sep 2008, 02:10

What with the glasses?! :blink:

Burgerlim
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Burgerlim » 26 Sep 2008, 02:59

lets hope its not a boring race here... with so much planning into it...

teahouse27
kart driver
kart driver

Post by teahouse27 » 26 Sep 2008, 03:05

hi guys, lets start with the weather right now 10:45 am, it's raining, it started at 7:00 am with a furious storm. i can tell you if that was on race time they would have just suspended the race, it went on for 1 hour like mad from my room i could not see the building in front which is only 25 meters or so away. Now is still raining but with less force, even if the wind now is quite strong, seems that tonight should be ok. Also yesterday instead was sunny and hot the all the day. Yesterday night 8:00 pm local time FIA, F1 Management, and SingaporeGP did the test of the track, for the "all clear". for about 1 hour they put safety car (mercedes SL500 AMG) and medical car (E class 63 AMG) flying around the track following each other at a very high speed. All the marshall where in place, so was a kind of simulation. The two car put together about 20 laps. The noise was stunning the all Marina with no traffic, was completely silent, and you could hear this 2 silver car even when they were in the opposite parts of the circuit. But even with such a nice pitcure there is a low: overtake looks impossible, no even between the 2 of them they could overtake each other if with the help of a real lift up on the throttle. moving up earlier in the afternoon all the big name were around the track walking, and basically preparation for the all team is done. from now on is wait and put the car on the track.

for administrator i tried to post some image on the link given but when loading error message was coming up. (anyway i have plenty of picture to share)

for shail69, yes i do work in here i am a car design of a big car firm with corporate office here in singapore.

weather update at 11:05 am: rain picked up again quite strong.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Sep 2008, 08:38

Look at this!! Absolutely lovely!!
http://www.itv-f1.com/VideoWorldwide.aspx
After 1:44 he's driving under a grandstand!!!!!
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Sep 2008, 08:39

RoCkSt@R wrote:What with the glasses?! :blink:
I think they are lovely :cool:

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 26 Sep 2008, 08:45

joostlamers wrote:Look at this!! Absolutely lovely!!
http://www.itv-f1.com/VideoWorldwide.aspx
After 1:44 he's driving under a grandstand!!!!!
they had that a couple of days ago.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 26 Sep 2008, 09:06

joostlamers wrote:
RoCkSt@R wrote:What with the glasses?! :blink:
I think they are lovely :cool:
I think he thinks he's Kanye West. When will he start getting the slatted glasses out? :p

slatted glasses = this link
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Sep 2008, 09:08

If Fernando was wearing them, you would have said that they are the most wonderful glasses you have ever seen...

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 26 Sep 2008, 09:12

blizzard wrote:Those kerbs look good, exactly how they should be. We also need gravel traps back on tracks like Spa or Hockenheim. But they left a lot of space in the area around the kerbs, so it´s still possible for the cars to cut the chicane...I hate it when they do it. Nothing to do with the Spa incident, I simply hate to see modern F1 driving off the road and having no disadvantage, look up "Berger funny jump" on youtube, it´s from the 89 season and Berger´s Ferrari gets torn apart, simply by getting on the kerbs. That´s how F1 was, mistakes were punished. Let´s get back to those days please.

I guess the thing is that is better to make safe circuits than anything else... The risk they take for running is already enough, and the fun should be in the overtaking, not in the crashes. This is not a Roman Circus where the fun comes from people risking their lifes. I don't even understand the idea of including new street circuits that by definition are of the most dangerous type...
Anyway, I don't understand the idea of that curve (10th). The circuit is quite slow, and without that chicane it would be better... there is no need of that chicane.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 26 Sep 2008, 09:27

Chicane modified at Singapore's Turn 10
[b]Autosport[/b] wrote:Singapore Grand Prix race officials have made modifications to the Turn 10 chicane on the Marina Bay circuit following concerns about the bumps on the kerbs.

A number of Formula One drivers said that changes needed to be made to the high bumps that had been put on the kerbs to try and prevent drivers from cutting straight across the chicane.

The drivers were worried that hitting the bumps could cause suspension damage or even damage a tub. They also raised concerns that the bumps would pitch them into the wall on the outside of the corner.

Honda Racing's Jenson Button told autosport.com: "If you run over that kerb it is going to do a tub and probably your spine as well. It is strange we haven't tested it before, and only here.

"I know the reason for it as it is to stop us cutting the kerbs which is understandable, but it doesn't account for a locked up wheel or a failure."

But following an inspection by F1 race director Charlie Whiting on Thursday afternoon, modifications have been made to the second series of bumps on the right hand kerbs ahead of today's first practice session.

The bumps have been ground down so the edges are now smoothed off, which will allow cars to ride up over them in case anyone makes a mistake and runs wide.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Sep 2008, 10:03

@ modification
That's the only right thing to do, it really were lethal kerbs! Cars would leave the groung when they hit them in a certain way.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 26 Sep 2008, 10:05

Well modifying the track looks the right thing to do.
And fp1 is an 1 hour away. anyone following it?

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 26 Sep 2008, 10:06

joostlamers wrote:If Fernando was wearing them, you would have said that they are the most wonderful glasses you have ever seen...
No I wouldn't. I hate slat glasses. They look so lame and "look at me". Now ok, Lewis isn't actually wearing slat glasses, but white sunglasses? Well it's ok, they're just a little.. shiny. Like way too shiny. But at least they're not slats.

No, my defense of my driver does not extend to his fashion sense.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 26 Sep 2008, 10:06

shail69 wrote:Well modifying the track looks the right thing to do.
And fp1 is an 1 hour away. anyone following it?
Yep, I've been waiting for it :n
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 26 Sep 2008, 10:51

itv live feed has started