2008 FORMULA 1 European Grand Prix

Who will win the 2008 FORMULA 1 European Grand Prix ?

Poll ended at 24 Aug 2008, 16:50

Lewis Hamilton
28%
Kimi Räikkönen
38%
Felipe Massa
24%
Robert Kubica
5%
Nick Heidfeld
No votes
Heikki Kovalainen
No votes
Jarno Trulli
No votes
Fernando Alonso
4%
Mark Webber
No votes
Timo Glock
1%

Total votes: 76

phil1993

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 European Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 21 Aug 2008, 17:29

yes, I was going to mention that earlier today but i forgot.

153/172 on board died.
Spains worst air crash for 25 years
3 days of national mourning

Investigations have begun into the cause of the crash at Madrid's Barajcas' airport.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 21 Aug 2008, 18:19

Ali wrote:
iceman1 wrote:Thanks shail69 For the Pics :)
Isn't it better for pictures to be on Pictures topic so that we can open up the race topic itself quickly? Otherwise, we have to wait so long for page to be ultimately loaded.

I guess a small commemoration will take place in the honor of those dead in the plane crash in Madrid, which they actually should do. It was a terrible crash.
I presume the drivers probably won't shake the champagne up on the podium.

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by fclen » 21 Aug 2008, 19:25

FIA asked to examine Valencia bridge

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, August 21st 2008, 18:12 GMT

Formula One tyre supplier Bridgestone has asked the FIA to examine the bridge section of the new Valencia F1 track amid fears that its current configuration could lead to a spate of punctures this weekend, autosport.com has learned.

The new track around the Valencia port runs over a swing bridge - with a small gap in the asphalt where there is a metal expansion joint to prevent any damage from varying temperatures.

Although the gap itself should cause no problem for the F1 cars this weekend, there is some concern, however, with the fact that the two sections of asphalt are at varying levels.

The section on the bridge is higher than the part of the track before it - and the resultant bump, believed to be as high as 15 millimetres in parts - has led Bridgestone to ask the FIA to look into the situation.

Bridgestone is worried that the bump is big enough, especially with the potentially more susceptible super-soft tyre in use this weekend, to risk causing punctures.

Hirohide Hamashima, Bridgestone's director of motorsport tyre development, wrote an email to FIA race director Charlie Whiting on Thursday asking him to look into the matter – and enquire if there was any way of ensuring the two parts of the track are made more level.

"I've written to Charlie to ask him to look into it," Hamashima told autosport.com. "The track is slightly raised (on the bridge), and if a tyre hits it (the lip), it could cause a puncture.

"It is not so bad, but if they can adjust it then we will be happy. Having the track level will be better."

The bridge section of the track appears to be the only part of the circuit that has caused some concern – with the rest of the layout leaving almost all the field excited about this weekend's inaugural event.

World champion Kimi Raikkonen said about the bridge section: "There are a few bumps because I guess they need to turn the bridge sometimes. That is the only place where I found any bumps on the circuit, and one of them is in the middle of the corner. So, that might affect things a bit.

"But apart from that it looks very smooth and very well done the circuit. We will see tomorrow how good it is in the end, but I expect to have quite good fun."
Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69926

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 21 Aug 2008, 20:01

1. Raikkonen to prioritise qualifying
[b][u]Autosport[/u][/b] wrote:Kimi Raikkonen has hinted that he is ready to compromise Ferrari's strong race form in a bid to get on top of the qualifying issues that have marred his season.
2. Hamilton fined €5000
[b][u]F1-Technical[/u][/b] wrote:Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team driver Lewis Hamilton was fined €5000 for arriving two minutes late for the FIA Thursday press conference at Valencia. Hamilton attended the press conference together with Rubens Barrichello, Jarno Trulli and Felipe Massa.
3. Alonso calls for Madrid plane crash tribute
[u][b]Autosport[/b][/u] wrote:Former world champion Fernando Alonso will urge his fellow drivers to join him in paying tribute to 153 victims of yesterday's Madrid aircrash ahead of first practice for the European Grand Prix at Valencia.
4. Felipe Massa - QA
[u][b]ITV[/b][/u] wrote:Last year Kimi was 17 points behind with two races to go and he won the championship, so we cannot give up. We need to be even more motivated. I think we are there, we are competitive, so that’s the only thing I want.

5. Barichello: Team is definitely talking to Fernando
[u][b]Formula1 - Press Conference[/b][/u] wrote:I think the team is definitely talking to Fernando but that’s the question mark. I have never been so enthusiastic about my whole situation with the team. I left Ferrari because I didn’t have the freedom to do what I wanted to do. I have that at Honda but I still have not had the car to perform and I am waiting for that chance. What can I say, but honestly the day that I feel that I am slower than my first race is the day I will call it off and stop. The conversations are there and I am talking to the team, I am talking to all the teams. I want to be racing.
The following table shows the status of engines and gearboxes to be used by each driver this weekend:

Code: Select all

Driver	Engine	Gearbox

Kimi Raikkonen	E2	G1
Felipe Massa	E1	G3
Nick Heidfeld	E2	G4
Robert Kubica	E1	G3
Fernando Alonso	E1	G1
Nelson Piquet	E1	G3
Nico Rosberg	E2	G2
Kazuki Nakajima	E2	G4
David Coulthard	E2	G3
Mark Webber	E2	G4
Jarno Trulli	E1	G3
Timo Glock	E2	G2
Sebastien Bourdais	E1	G1
Sebastian Vettel	E1	G1
Jenson Button	E1	G2
Rubens Barrichello	E2	G2
Adrian Sutil	Opt E2	G1
Giancarlo Fisichella	E1	G1
Lewis Hamilton	E2	G1
Heikki Kovalainen	E2	G4
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 21 Aug 2008, 20:23

A new circuit for everyone. I imagine they will run more on Friday to get the feel of it.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 21 Aug 2008, 20:24

Interesting that Rubens says the team have been talking to Alonso,he won't be pleased.That issue with the bridge and punctures,hopefully just a teething problem that will be fixed.We don't want another Indy '05.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 21 Aug 2008, 20:26

swca92 wrote:Interesting that Rubens says the team have been talking to Alonso,he won't be pleased.That issue with the bridge and punctures,hopefully just a teething problem that will be fixed.We don't want another Indy '05.
Here is the problem:

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by fclen » 21 Aug 2008, 20:31

Imagine that! All the "Bridgestone teams" park after the parade lap. :blink:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 21 Aug 2008, 20:33

Maybe Renault will use the same strategie as the spanish GP (Low Fuel) , it won't works very well but who knows Low fuel strategy can also well turn into advantage :thumbsup:

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 21 Aug 2008, 20:39

Ali wrote:
swca92 wrote:Interesting that Rubens says the team have been talking to Alonso,he won't be pleased.That issue with the bridge and punctures,hopefully just a teething problem that will be fixed.We don't want another Indy '05.
Here is the problem:

Looks quite ugly really.... At 300 km/h may be a real problem....
In susuka I don't remember any like that on the bridge...

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 21 Aug 2008, 21:23

maybe the difference in elevation would be automatically reduced by the rubber laid on the track by the car.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 21 Aug 2008, 21:49

hannibal_rising wrote: Looks quite ugly really.... At 300 km/h may be a real problem....
In susuka I don't remember any like that on the bridge...
Yes, but the bridge at Suzuka didn't swing. This one does.
I think it should (should, fingers crossed) be fine. We could do without another Indy.
It might even add an extra element to the race, making it memorable.

As for the drivers' reactions to it, go back and look at Shail69's photos, and look at Seb Vettel's reaction to the bridge. It's a priceless photo, and one that kind of indicated the coming question of the bridge and its possible problems.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 21 Aug 2008, 21:54

SC Testing:

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 21 Aug 2008, 22:12

That was broadcast on tv?

Manny6
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Manny6 » 21 Aug 2008, 23:45

I am exicited for a new track.. the layout looks great a lot of turns and room for passing..these guys are pros
though there is much still unknown about this track only the race will tell..its really hard to tell who have a
good basis for a win..we will have to see what happens in quali...none of the drivers have raced in gp2 or other
series prior so..I do expect a safty car deployment about two times or more..based on the tires being used I expect
the first two rows to be Mclaren and the boys in red.