Jenson Button
No votes

Total votes: 43

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by Fergie1 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:04

Massa probably had the engine turned up to hard on its second race at the start when he was blitzing everyone. Thats my reasoning as to why it blew up.
And one more co-incidence, when one McLaren Driver has been subject to team orders in the last race the one that lost out went on to win their first Grand Prix with the previous winner doing poorly.
(Monaco 07/Canada 07, Germany 08/Hungary)
Last edited by Fergie1 on 03 Aug 2008, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:05

2001 Spain - Hakkinen has engine failure with 1/2 lap to go
2005 Europe - Raikkonen has suspension failure with 1 lap to go
2008 Hungary - Massa has engine failure with 1 lap to go

bad luck happens, at least it wasn't the last lap when commentators talk as if they've already won!

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 03 Aug 2008, 15:09

Lilellatho wrote:Oh and don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Heikki, but one has to say his race pace was again, um, not quite there yet, was it? :roll::

Yes definitely. He was not on the mood. I actually didn't want Heikki to take his first maiden win in such a race with such a pace(!), albeit he experienced lots of unluck moments. Massa really deserved this win but that's racing and it's a bit agony for those like Massa here and Hakkinen in 2001 Spain and Schumi in 2006 Japan.

When it comes to damage limitation for Lewis, he's been the luckiest guy I've ever seen. He even won a race after he hit a wall :blink: Really interesting.

As far as i remember, Kimi is the guy who is behind that decision whether he would be heavy or light in the race. He feels much more comfortable in the race with a clear track when all others pitted. 7 fastest laps proved this. Unfortunately, he turned out to be a "conservatist" driver, which is not good for me a fan of Kimi.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 03 Aug 2008, 15:12

It's a Shame what happended to Massa... :sad: He win the first position in the best way (for sure the best moment of the race... because the rest was awful..) and keep it well during all the race. Not a chance for Hamilton with Massa running like that. But... the engine said a different thing. I have a lot of brazilians friends, so I'm really sorry for them. :sad:

Quite back luck for Hamilton too. At least, he didn't loose the head of the championship.

I'm glad to see Timo in the Podium. :cool: :thumbsup: I would like to see more diversity there more often. He had a great weekend.

I'm happy for Heikki too... but he probably knows that he won the race because two other guys failed...

About the rest... Quite boring race. Instead of eliminate Silverstone from the championship this circuit should be eliminated (even if it is usually good for McLarens)

Flag:##

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 03 Aug 2008, 15:15

hannibal_rising wrote:About the rest... Quite boring race. Instead of eliminate Silverstone from the championship this circuit should be eliminated (even if it is usually good for McLarens)

Hungarian race gets contract extension
Autosport wrote:Hungarian Grand Prix bosses have extended their deal to host the race until 2016, it was announced on Sunday morning.

The Hungaroring already had a deal until 2011 but, following discussions over the weekend with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone, they have agreed on a five-year contract extension.

A statement issued on Sunday morning said that Ecclestone signed the deal with Hungary's Minister Responsible for Sport, Istvan Gyenesei.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:16

no he was about 25 seconds behind massa when massa came out of his final pit stops. he closed down to 7 seconds when massa was taking it easy in the last few laps.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:17

xyneid wrote:
hannibal_rising wrote:About the rest... Quite boring race. Instead of eliminate Silverstone from the championship this circuit should be eliminated (even if it is usually good for McLarens)

Hungarian race gets contract extension
Autosport wrote:Hungarian Grand Prix bosses have extended their deal to host the race until 2016, it was announced on Sunday morning.

The Hungaroring already had a deal until 2011 but, following discussions over the weekend with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone, they have agreed on a five-year contract extension.

A statement issued on Sunday morning said that Ecclestone signed the deal with Hungary's Minister Responsible for Sport, Istvan Gyenesei.

Oh f**k**g hell. Its probably only because as I read in F1 racing that the access road is called Bernie Avenue.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:18

In other Motor Sport News:

WSBK: Japanese rider Ryuichi Kiyonari won the opening race at Brands Hatch
WRC: Sebastien Loeb wins the Rally of Finland ahead of Mikko Hirvonen and Chris Atkinson
GP2: Sebastien Buemi wins the Sprint race at the Hungaroring ahead of Andy Soucek and Bruno Senna

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:20

shail69 wrote:no he was about 25 seconds behind massa when massa came out of his final pit stops. he closed down to 7 seconds when massa was taking it easy in the last few laps.

Kovy said that he pushed Massa hard hoping for something like this to happen and it did. I was watching the live timing and he was closing Massa down at about a second a lap.

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 03 Aug 2008, 15:20

the race was going so nice and i was thinking massa will again lead the championship and kimmi was closing in on glock also so as a ferrari fan it was a superb race for me but disaster strikes..........hope massa can win in spain after three weeks
Desire has no limits

Lilellatho
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Lilellatho » 03 Aug 2008, 15:21

xyneid wrote:
As far as i remember, Kimi is the guy who is behind that decision whether he would be heavy or light in the race. He feels much more comfortable in the race with a clear track when all others pitted. 7 fastest laps proved this. Unfortunately, he turned out to be a "conservatist" driver, which is not good for me a fan of Kimi.

Yeah, I know he's more of a conservative driver, I guess he got used to it in his Macca days when he would go heavier that his teammates most of the time and still outqualified them, sometimes with quite some margin. But I think that he has to realise that with quick Massa in the other red car, with his problems heating up these BS tyres and with the field being quite close (atleast in quali), he can't afford going that much heavier and get himself to 6th or 7th on the grid. In F1 these days it just doesn't work. With his strong race pace, I think going lighter is the only way to go.

I just hope he and Chris Dyer get on top of his quali problems ASAP. Whatever it takes, they just have to do it.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 03 Aug 2008, 15:24

phil1993 wrote:2001 Spain - Hakkinen has engine failure with 1/2 lap to go
2005 Europe - Raikkonen has suspension failure with 1 lap to go
2008 Hungary - Massa has engine failure with 1 lap to go

bad luck happens, at least it wasn't the last lap when commentators talk as if they've already won!

Massa with 3 laps to go..
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:29

Raikkonen 'could have done better'

Kimi Raikkonen believes he could have got a better results in Hungary if he would have had a better qualifying result on Saturday. The Finn blames his performance in qualifying for running into traffic during the race.

Raikkonen said about his race: "I believe we have could have done a bit better but I got stuck behind Alonso. My car was good and around the end of the race I was able to catch Glock but I had to back off in the end.

"I believe we have the speed in our car but if we can't get a better result in qualifying we will run into the same problems again. We really need to sort this out. If we are in front we can fight for wins. But the third place here in Hungary is a good result after a difficult weekend for me."

Difficult weekend comes to an end for BMW Sauber

The BMW Sauber F1 team look back at a difficult weekend in Budapest. In Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix Robert Kubica managed to score one single point but both Kubica and team mate Heidfeld struggled on track.

Speaking about his race Robert Kubica said: "This was a difficult race. We were very slow and I was struggling with the overall grip of the car. I had massive oversteer and could not really push. I was trying hard to keep the car on the track. Anyway, one point is better than nothing."

Nick Heidfeld was also not that positive about his performance on Sunday. He commented: "My start wasn't perfect but okay. As I had hoped, I was able to overtake three cars on the first lap. But later it became more difficult than expected to race with the heavy car. We went for a one stop strategy, so my car was almost full of fuel at the start and I also had to take care of the tyres. I couldn't match the pace of the cars in front of me. Now we have to analyse today's lack of race pace. Normally this is one of our strengths!"

No points for Honda

The Honda Racing F1 Team's Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello brought their cars home in 12th and 16th places respectively in today's Hungarian Grand Prix. Whilst the team were unable to add to their points tally today, the weekend has brought a small step forward in terms of performance following the introduction of new car developments.

Speaking about his race Jenson Button said: "Looking at the weekend as a whole, we have made good progress and can take a lot away from here. Unfortunately the race was frustrating. I made it tough for myself with a poor start, which dropped me down to P14 after the first couple of corners. I got boxed in at Turn 1 and had a lot of wheelspin out of the corner, which allowed a few people to get past on the outside. I was able to get past Rubens on lap three, which was fun, but after that I quickly came up to the back of Heidfeld. He was very strong on the last two corners so I had no chance to overtake on the track and he was on a one-stop strategy. However in clean air, our pace was good, so this weekend is a definite step forward and I am reasonably happy with the outcome."

Rubens Barrichello commented: "After a good start where I made up four positions on the opening lap, unfortunately it wasn't a very exciting race for me. We decided to start with used front and new rear tyres which proved to be a problem as the car was out of balance for the first stint. Then at my first pitstop we were unlucky to have the problem with the rig which resulted in a small fire and a long delay whilst we got fuel into the car using the second rig. After that, my race was effectively over as the number of blue flags made it impossible to make progress. We decided to drop the revs on the engine and do some testing with the tyres as we had overheating problems over the weekend and it was good to collect some data on this. For me the actual race was one to forget really."

Important Points for Renault

The Renault F1 team scored valuable points for the constructors' championship as Fernando Alonso and Nelson Piquet finished fourth and sixth respectively. The duo earned the team a total of eight points and moved up to fifth in the championship.

Fernando Alonso said about his fourth place finish: "We fought hard today and we were on the pace with a car that was working well, which is encouraging for the rest of the championship. We scored some important points which is satisfying, even though we could have maybe been on the podium. We must now continue working hard, but today's result shows that we are moving in the right direction."

Nelson Piquet commented: "I am happy with my result this weekend. I scored some valuable points which is promising for the rest of the season. I made a good start, but unfortunately I made a small mistake on the first lap, which meant that I lost the two positions that I had made up. It shows that at this level you cannot afford to make the smallest error. I am continuing to learn and I am determined to continue building on this progress when we go to Valencia at the end of the month."

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:29

what was massa reaction to that? Did anyone manage to interview him?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Aug 2008, 15:31

shail69 wrote:what was massa reaction to that? Did anyone manage to interview him?

he walked dejected down the pit lane with his head in his hands, but theres been no statement yet.