2008 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix

Post by markpaz455 » 05 Jul 2008, 14:39

iceman1 wrote:the BBC's satellite quite accurate for 24 hour forecasts. So there should be a good downpour before the race and maybe during it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/midlands/#no_url
it will be an interesting race if wet and the interesting grid positions

btw congrats to Vettel!...awesome lap from him in the STR

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 05 Jul 2008, 14:44

What's going on in the GP2 race? ITV aren't showing it
Last edited by swca92 on 05 Jul 2008, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Post by markpaz455 » 05 Jul 2008, 14:44

phil1993 wrote:oh, i don't know, but as several drivers went quicker, he was naturally demoted. i think he was P6 before his problem, and then Hamilton and Vettel went faster
yeah he was unusually slow since he one of the best qualifyers......he was slow in all 3 sessions and even if he set a competitive lap i would say p6 or p7.....the only explanation is a wet setup bc it's very unlikely hes one stopping since he is in Q3

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 05 Jul 2008, 15:09

Just awesome qualifying!

Kovalainen has been devastating the whole weekend and showed his pace today. McLaren being clearly the fastest in qualifying, but Ferrari might gain back their strength in the race as always. Kimi was fast when he put the fuel on the car so I'm pretty sure that he's heavier than the other top 4.

Hamilton was overdriving a lot and made lots of mistakes in Q3. I don't believe that Kovalainen is light at all. He just annihilated the rest of the field. Hamilton was supposed to get the pole but I guess the pressure was too much for him to stand. :roll:: Didn't even see him congratulating his teammate. :tired:

Anyway, only two languages in the press conference this time and it might be the same case tomorrow when there might be a Finnish one-two! :cheezy: If it rains, it will get kind of tricky, but at least Kovalainen has showed that he's just masterful under wet conditions. :wink:

Bring it on!

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Post by markpaz455 » 05 Jul 2008, 15:33

AzShadow wrote:Just awesome qualifying!

Kovalainen has been devastating the whole weekend and showed his pace today. McLaren being clearly the fastest in qualifying, but Ferrari might gain back their strength in the race as always. Kimi was fast when he put the fuel on the car so I'm pretty sure that he's heavier than the other top 4.

Hamilton was overdriving a lot and made lots of mistakes in Q3. I don't believe that Kovalainen is light at all. He just annihilated the rest of the field. Hamilton was supposed to get the pole but I guess the pressure was too much for him to stand. :roll::

Anyway, only two languages in the press conference this time and it might be the same case tomorrow when there might be a Finnish one-two! :cheezy: If it rains, it will get kind of tricky, but at least Kovalainen has showed that he's just masterful under wet conditions. :wink:

Bring it on!
i acually suspect that hamilton is lighter than heikki because hes was about to set a great lap before the off road excursion and he went really cautious in his second lap espcially in the chicane before bridge when they went onboard with him on tv....kimi is heavy as he usually is.....i dunno about mark webber.....could be slightly on the light side but he's been showing good pace all weekend as well and he's a great qualifyer

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 05 Jul 2008, 15:45

Heikki deserves it, after so many problems in the season, but to nail a pole in Silverstone (?) where everyone expected a Ferrari- Hamilton duel, must be something special to him, what a confidence boost. Just curious if he can keep it up tomorow, it would be great to have another maidden win this season. If Webber stays in 2nd in the 1st lap he has great chances of winning, and i can see Ferrari struggling when the car will be lighter in those crucial laps before re-fueling, but Kimi is always strong so you never know, Massa and Kubica will suffer i guess. Nice performance from Piquet, finally he`s doing some great laps, maybe he`ll get his seat secured after all. Btw, i`ve been following races in the live streamer but i don`t find too many people from here, just wondering !!

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 05 Jul 2008, 15:59

It was nice to see the McLaren crew being genuinely happy about Heikki's pole and not something like this:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bp90LGIWSwo

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 05 Jul 2008, 16:17

I'm pretty doubt whether pit crews of each driver are different than the other. As far as I remember, the guy in the video where Alonso gets pole is Hamilton's mechanic. If not, I always see him beside Hamilton.

Anyway, guys like Heikki, Heidfeld, Mika or Trulli are always be respected and liked which ever team they will drive for. They're nice, honest and sympathetic guys. I really really like and do respect them and indeed, I want them to be successful from the heart. For example, not for Villeneuve or Fisi or Alonso.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 Jul 2008, 16:44

Hamilton was completed pissed off ...didn't even care to wish maiden Pole to teammate *sad*
According my calculation :
Fuel levels -- low to high
Mark / Lewis
Alonso / Kubica
Heikki / Kimi
Massa / Nick

xyneid wrote:Anyway, guys like Heikki, Heidfeld, Mika or Trulli are always be respected and liked which ever team they will drive for. They're nice, honest and sympathetic guys. I really really like and do respect them and indeed, I want them to be successful from the heart. For example, not for Villeneuve or Fisi or Alonso.
I didn't understand ..last line!
But Fisi is most respected guy in current line up :cheezy:
Average F1 Driver never get chance to show their devil side :p
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 05 Jul 2008, 18:28

I can understand and partially agree with Alonso, and Villeneuve and Piquet Sr. and Mansell are very much all prima donnas, but Fisi? I think every driver races for themselves, and Fisico is having a solid season with FIF.

As for the race, why are all the drivers so negative about the rain? In all their quotes, they start with "If it's dry, then we should go well.." or something similar. Surely it would benefit Webber and Hamilton if it was wet.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 05 Jul 2008, 18:48

I think Fisichella has always been a team player, during his F1 career. He could have won a championship during his time in the Renault team, however, Flavio wanted Alonso to be champion and Fisi accepted it.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 05 Jul 2008, 19:02

Yes, I see your point but this was a subjective comment of mine upon AzShadow's video about pit crew celebration. I think that's OK for now about Fisi.

One thing about qualification reminded me Hungary 2007, where Ferrari forgot to fuel Massa at the end of Q2 and causing him not to make it Q3. Afterwards, DC commented on this occasion "It was a conspiracy to favor Kimi. How could you forget to fuel a car?" At that time, Kimi was behind Massa in WDC by 7 points. What was happened today to Massa was really awkard to me in this regard considering Massa leading WDC.
Felipe Massa
"It's a real shame ending up ninth on the grid because of a problem with my pit stop. I lost so much time as the mechanics had trouble changing the right rear wheel and I was unable to start my second run.
I think I could have done a good time, maybe not enough to take pole but at least good enough for a place on the front two rows. There was a lot of wind today and the balance of the car was not as good as yesterday and we were not as quick as at last week's test. Tomorrow I can definitely expect to be fighting all race long to move up the order and I will do all I can to bring home a good result: but it won't be easy."

Stefano Domenicali, Team Principal
"This is definitely not the result we expected nor the one we wanted. Problems such as the one that befell Felipe are serious and I am very sorry for him as we prevented him from giving it his best shot. On top of that, we need to understand why our performance, even taking into account all the unknowns regarding the various strategy choices, was not up to our usual standard. Nevertheless, this is only Saturday afternoon and we still have the race ahead of us. We are up against very strong opponents, but we will also be doing our utmost to bring home a good result."
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 05 Jul 2008, 19:04

Ferrari's having some problems fitting their tyres in as they screwed it up in Monaco's race with Kimi too.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 05 Jul 2008, 19:14

AzShadow wrote:Ferrari's having some problems fitting their tyres in as they screwed it up in Monaco's race with Kimi too.
Opps when? They screwed up putting front wing, not anything with tyres. Well, I didn't see if they did anyway.

Of course I'm not totally aggressive about Ferrari but these two incidents are really some kind that a team like Ferrari shouldn't do.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 05 Jul 2008, 19:51

oh Kimi is smiling :cheezy: