2008 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix

ScuderiaFN
car driver
car driver

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix

Post by ScuderiaFN » 30 Jun 2008, 19:13

Well, it wasn't Massa's driving that prevented him to win the race, it was the strategy. He couldn't do much more of it. He lost radio contact with the team that made the tyre switch come too late, so he lost second place to Bob. And Ferrari thought it would start raining again, so they choosed to keep him on the inters. Had it started to rain, he would probably have won. Ferrari was very confident he would have.

Hamilton was rather lucky in this race, and that he could come in so early to fuel up and not losing too many places. Of course he made a great race in the end, but it could have been a lot different.

But this is about Great Britain :cool: And it's going to be AWESOME!

phil1993

2008 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 30 Jun 2008, 19:13

Webber and Vettel are always impressive in the wet and Kimi also won in China, which was damp.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 30 Jun 2008, 20:12

Hey Phil, been sleeping well lately, friday minus 4 !!! Remember to take a camera and some ear plugs.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Jul 2008, 07:11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2838

wet and windy Silverstone Weekend.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 01 Jul 2008, 11:38

Hooray! Rain+F1 cars=excitement. If only Magny Cours had been wet, cos then we'd have had three classic GPs in a row.

My realistic expectation for Fernando Alonso (given a normal race) is a sixth or seventh place Grid-spot, and a sixth place or upwards finish. That's if they fuel him normally. If they don't, then it will be another Magny-Cours, i.e. a damp squib.

It will be an all-Ferrari front row.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 01 Jul 2008, 15:50

well one thing i noticed about massa it that he is very quick if the condition is wet. but once the rain stops and the tracks starts to dry then he faces difficuly. example in nurburgring 2007 and monaco 2008

well this is my opinion only.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jul 2008, 17:04

MP4/4#12 wrote:Hey Phil, been sleeping well lately, friday minus 4 !!! Remember to take a camera and some ear plugs.
trying not to think about it (still at school)... but only 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 01 Jul 2008, 17:37

silverstone is still ferrari territory.......max 2nd place only for hamilton i think

martinez
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by martinez » 01 Jul 2008, 18:47

its a ferrari track, but you always have to worry about hamilton.

my prediction is...

1st Raikkonen
2nd hamilton
3rd kubica
Martinez 10

Soyyo
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soyyo » 01 Jul 2008, 19:32

British GP: Technical preview

Silverstone Tech File
The challenge of racing at Silverstone has been transformed in recent years by the introduction of V8 engines and ever-increasing levels of downforce. The result is that corners previously requiring downshifts can now be taken with just a lift of the throttle, and indeed the first half of the lap, all the way to Vale, requires very little braking at all. The engines are therefore under prolonged load with a full throttle percentage of 66% per lap. Corners range from 180 mph sweepers to the long, slow complex at the end of the lap - and the car must also cope with the bumpy surface and capricious, gusting winds.

Aerodynamics
Downforce levels at Silverstone are medium to high - the same as those used at the last race in Magny-Cours. The downforce is required for the quick corners in the opening part of the lap, and the relatively short straights and short braking zones mean that any deficit in straightline speed is unlikely to see competitors overtaking you. The lack of heavy braking also means we run some of the smallest brake ducts of the year to optimise aerodynamic performance.

Ride
Ride is an important characteristic at Silverstone, where maintaining consistent aerodynamic performance is so critical for performance in the quick corners. The surface is quite bumpy, and nowhere more so than under braking for turn 8, where the uneven surface can unsettle the car. The drivers also tend to drift out onto the kerbs exiting the quick corners in order to take the fastest line, which can make the circuit seem bumpier than it is.

Suspension
We run the car with a forward mechanical balance at this circuit - essentially with a stiff front end and softer rear end. The stiff front gives the car a good change of direction in the high and slow speed corners, while the softer rear end gives better grip under traction, exiting turns 9, 11 and 16 in particular.

Tyres
Tyres are always given a hard time at this track, especially because of the numerous high-speed corners, and this means that Silverstone, along with Barcelona and Spa, is among the toughest tracks of the season for tyre wear. To cope with this Bridgestone will offer the 'medium' and 'hard' compounds from its 2008 range of Potenza tyres in order to cope with these challenges.

Ambient conditions
As a former airfield, Silverstone is inevitably exposed to the wind - and this can have a big impact on car performance. Gusting wind alters the aerodynamic balance of the car and makes handling unpredictable, particularly in the high-speed corners. The driver must be able to judge the direction and strength of the wind, and adjust his driving accordingly.

Strategy
Fuel consumption is high at Silverstone, as is the time penalty for carrying extra fuel weight. This means that it is a circuit where strategies rarely vary from the norm, as two extra laps of fuel, for example, could cost nearly two tenths per lap. Expect to see most teams running a "standard" two stop strategy, which is generally slightly forward-biased for the front runners in order to ensure good grid position and clean air in which to race in the early stages. With overtaking nearly impossible at this circuit, track position is all-important.

Engine
The Silverstone circuit gives the latest generation of V8 engines a thorough workout with just under 66% of the lap spent at full throttle. This is slightly less demanding than in previous years, largely due to the advent of control tyres from Bridgestone, but the engine still needs to be responsive at high revs as the drivers take the quick corners on either full or partial throttle. In terms of cooling, an extensive test at this circuit in the run up to the Grand Prix means we are well prepared for every eventuality.

SOURCE: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 6723&FS=F1

Soyyo
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soyyo » 01 Jul 2008, 19:41

Mark Blundell's forecast:
I am going to have to go for Lewis and back him for the pole. But at the moment in the race I think it will be a Ferrari 1-2, headed by Raikkonen. Then I'll go for Lewis in third, followed by Kovalainen and the Red Bull's of Coulthard and Webber.
SOURCE: http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news ... _prix.html
IMO it would be Ferrari 1-2 with Kimi leading Massa, Heikki, Kubica, Webber, Glock, Rosberg, Piquet
I'm seeing Hamilton out of the points as Alonso.

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 01 Jul 2008, 19:43

I expect a Ferrari 1-2, with Massa winning again. However, Hamilton won't give up to fight for the win, but i think he will go off the trace somewhere during the race and ruin his chance of winning his home grand prix. It seems like the BMW Saubers are not competitive at the moment, so they will drive around the places 4 or 5 to 8, i think. And one of the mid field teams will go for a surprise, maybe the Renault again...

Soyyo
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soyyo » 01 Jul 2008, 19:54

A fresh engine for Raikkonen at Silverstone

It is still very likely that Kimi Raikkonen will race a new engine at the British Grand Prix this weekend.

Following the Magny-Cours incident, when the Finn was lucky to finish in second place after the right hand side exhaust pipe failed and subsequently broke off, Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali said using the same engine at Silverstone would be 'ambitious' given its arduous outing in France.

The Magny-Cours engine was due to be carried over to Silverstone, but a change for Silverstone would go unpunished, according to the new 2008 rule allowing one out-of-sequence change per driver.

For Ferrari, using the engine change 'joker' for Raikkonen this weekend may be the most prudent decision, given the likelihood that the overworked Magny-Cours unit might fail - either giving him a ten-place grid penalty for a problem on Saturday, or putting him out of the race altogether.

Domenicali said on Tuesday: "Keeping the rules in mind, to avoid a penalty, I think we will use a new unit to try to reduce the risk."

SOURCE: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 0754.shtml

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Jul 2008, 20:06

He'll make the podium but i doubt he'll come in first. I still don't think he's 100% focused. Unlike Kimi, Massa and Kubica, Hamilton still seems like he's still worried about what the media and the fans think of him.

If Hamilton doesn’t fare well in the British GP, the sponsors and financial backers will start asking some serious questions on their investments

Schumfs
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Schumfs » 01 Jul 2008, 23:53

I think iceman is right about Lewis.
Plus I believe that Kimi will win this British GP with Massa or Hamilton next.
And I bet some euros that Vettel will be on points :D
Racing... Because football, basketball, volleyball... Requires ONE ball!!!