2008 FORMULA 1 French Grand Prix

lealjaime
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 French Grand Prix

Post by lealjaime » 22 Jun 2008, 14:31

will be a penalty for kimi in silverstone ????? or mechanics are can repair engine without penalty
Last edited by lealjaime on 22 Jun 2008, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ferrari Rules!!!!!!

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 22 Jun 2008, 14:32

AzShadow wrote:Oh, and Kimi still has his free engine change left. :wink: So it's not all over for him in Silverstone.
Free engine change only if he din finish the race. That has already happened to him in Australia as well as Canada. So i guess he would be heading to Silverstone with the same car. But if your car is damaged you are allowed to make repairs. So i don't think this would be any problem for him in Silverstone, if so then the race engineers would have probably informed him to slow down or something. Since nothing of that sort happened i don't think its a draw back .. we will have the curtains raising in Silverstone with all fellows ready to fight it out ..

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 22 Jun 2008, 14:33

lealjaime wrote:will be a penalty for kimi in silverstone ????? or mechanics are can repair engine without penalty
What for ? I don't think anything happened to his engine ...

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 22 Jun 2008, 14:35

sanredrose wrote: Free engine change only if he din finish the race. That has already happened to him in Australia as well as Canada. So i guess he would be heading to Silverstone with the same car. But if your car is damaged you are allowed to make repairs. So i don't think this would be any problem for him in Silverstone, if so then the race engineers would have probably informed him to slow down or something. Since nothing of that sort happened i don't think its a draw back .. we will have the curtains raising in Silverstone with all fellows ready to fight it out ..
Oh, so it's no use to him then.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 Jun 2008, 14:36

Neither Lewis nor Kimi finished in Montreal, so are they on their second engines (for Silverstone) or not? I would have thought that McLaren would have kept the same engine as it only did 18 laps of the Montreal race and would have envisaged that a new engine in France would mean an old engine in silverstone. Ferrari on the other hand i think went for a fresh engine, anticipating a strong challenge from BMW. Kimi was so lucky that Ferrari were in 'A Class of One' as Martin Brundle said.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 22 Jun 2008, 14:38

phil1993 wrote:Neither Lewis nor Kimi finished in Montreal, so are they on their second engines (for Silverstone) or not? I would have thought that McLaren would have kept the same engine as it only did 18 laps of the Montreal race and would have envisaged that a new engine in France would mean an old engine in silverstone. Ferrari on the other hand i think went for a fresh engine, anticipating a strong challenge from BMW. Kimi was so lucky that Ferrari were in 'A Class of One' as Martin Brundle said.
Its possible. As far as Lewis engine is concerned i only heard Steve Slater say that .. May be ITV guys could be more accurate < Just because its Lewis .. i am hoping so >

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 22 Jun 2008, 14:40

phil1993 wrote:Neither Lewis nor Kimi finished in Montreal, so are they on their second engines (for Silverstone) or not?
In Montreal, Kimi used his second engine so if that accident wouldn't have been, he still would start French GP with a new engine.

But Hamilton used his first engine in Montreal and as he didn't finish he was free to use fresh engine. And sanredrose wrote "I think he began with a fresh engine. In the commentary from Star Sports i heard Steve Slater say that Hamilton's driving his Engine1 for this race .."

We should learn when this file is online.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 Jun 2008, 14:41

By the way Sanredrose, on your sig, shouldn't 'Heiki' have another 'K' in it?

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 22 Jun 2008, 14:44

"We broke an exhaust, around mid way through the race, and that lost us a lot of power so we were just struggling in a straight line. From that point on we were really only thinking about trying to make sure we got home with second place, because there was no way to keep ahead of Felipe.

Some of our competitors made some big mistakes, so we are very fortunate to have such a problem with the car and still manage to come home with eight points." - Chris Dyer

Really can't say now ... both Ferrari Engine & Gearbox has completed 1 & 3 race cycle respectively.It was unusual problem ..i think similar problem took place in first race :unsure:

Kimi was extremely luck to finish but more unlucky to not win ..he deserved it today ..even massa said kimi was quicker today.Massa is doing what he should be doing ..Job done!

Brilliant performance from Trulli & Nelson(big F*off to basher)!

Ferrari 1-2 Flag:## !yahoo: to end the day is MAGNY-FICENT!

BMW have do something ... car look dumb & hopeless :tired:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

tfhar
kart driver
kart driver

Post by tfhar » 22 Jun 2008, 14:44

really bad luck to kimi... & gratz to massa leading the championship.
Trulli have a nice race too

btw, i dont know why hamilton get a drive through penalty
sorry for bad english......
Last edited by tfhar on 22 Jun 2008, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 22 Jun 2008, 14:49

Another stupid penalty from a stupid race director, yeah he should of given the place back precautionary but he was well ahead anyway. Its not like Vettel could of gone round the outside of him had he made the corner.

tfhar
kart driver
kart driver

Post by tfhar » 22 Jun 2008, 15:04

sanredrose wrote: Heikki Kovalainen was simply amazing ! Handed with a 5 place penalty and still manages a 4th with almost sticking his nose on to the podium. I wonder where he is gonna take his first gp win ? Probably Hungary or Belgium ?

For other place very hard to say but Kimi too strong in Belgium circuit. Kimi won 3 times consecutive at this place. I think Kimi will win the race if the car is no problem.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 Jun 2008, 15:12

Fergie1 wrote:Another stupid penalty from a stupid race director, yeah he should of given the place back precautionary but he was well ahead anyway. Its not like Vettel could of gone round the outside of him had he made the corner.
Yes, if he didnt do that, he would have crashed into Vettel or been shunted by the guy behind. The FIA should give a decision like that within a minute, so that Hamilton could let Vettel through with minimal damage. Not waiting for almost 20 laps before announcing his penalty. A similar thing happened to Alonso in Japan 2005, the FIA need to get sorted out. Hamilton will not let Vettel through as he wouldnt have thought anything of it, and anyway, Hamilton was already past Vettel

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Rate the French Grand Prix 2008

Post by TwistedArmco » 22 Jun 2008, 15:19

Pfft.
"Ferrari International Assistance"
"McLaren witchhunt!"
"draconian penalty"

Give it a rest guys. He should have just given the place back to Vettel. Just because he was ahead on the road doesn't mean he'd have kept the place had he had to actually slow and actually take the corner. Vettel hung him out to dry, legally, and Hamilton paid the price for not respecting the Toro Rosso enough to let it back through.
Last edited by TwistedArmco on 22 Jun 2008, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 Jun 2008, 15:21

from the official f1 site:

Felipe Massa, Ferrari (1st):
To follow.

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari (2nd):
To follow.

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (3rd):
"What a great result and a great weekend by the whole team. We were pushing really hard because we wanted to dedicate this result to Ove Andersson, who has done so much for Toyota Motorsport. Today was a great race, hard and tough. We had a good pace, even if we had to battle with some cars that were quicker than us. I had to fight really hard but that is what people should expect both from myself and from Toyota. When the rain came at the end I had to take care because it's always difficult to judge how bad it is when you're in front. But I got back into a rhythm and had a wheel-to-wheel fight with Heikki (Kovalainen), just like in go-karts. The team made no mistakes this weekend, from the people in the factory who made the new parts on the car to the mechanics who did perfect pit stops today. There's still more to do but today we can be very satisfied. The team is doing a great job, the car is much more competitive and everyone is motivated. Things are moving on."

Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren (4th):
To follow.

Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber (5th):
"We didn't score as many points as we wanted to here in Magny-Cours. Over the whole weekend we tried to minimize the problems we had, and we knew the race would be decided on the first lap. At the start I tried to overtake Jarno Trulli, but did not manage it. I tried again in turn 5 on the outside, but it did not work out. In the end I have to say I am pretty happy. I finished fifth, only 2 seconds away from the podium. We now have to analyse what happened here and see how we can improve for the next race."

Mark Webber, Red Bull (6th):
To follow.

Nelson Piquet, Renault (7th):
To follow.

Fernando Alonso, Renault (8th):
To follow.

David Coulthard, Red Bull (9th):
To follow.

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (10th):
To follow.

Timo Glock, Toyota (11th):
"That was a difficult day for me. I made a good start, the car felt good for the first stint and I was able to push hard. But after the pit stop I struggled to maintain the same pace because I had some tyre graining and I then had major understeer. That meant the car was sliding around for much of the race. It didn't work out for us in terms of strategy either. I lost ground at each of the pit stops and in the end we just dropped out of the points. Still it's great for Jarno to take third place and the podium, a perfect result for him and the team. We have clearly made progress since the last test and our pace means I am determined to come away with better results in the coming races."

Sebastian Vettel, Toro Rosso (12th):
“I think we can be proud of ourselves because we had a very strong race. We started and finished P12, but we were in a part of the pack that included McLaren and BMW. I think we did a fantastic job of keeping ahead of one BMW simply because we had a better pace. We were not so lucky in terms of traffic and I would have liked the rain to come and help us a bit in the last fifteen laps but unfortunately it only arrived 15 minutes after the finish! Overall, we can be happy. It was not an easy race and I had a lot of graining which made life harder. Definitely a step forward in performance terms compared to the last couple of races.”

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (13th):
"Having finished 13th is certainly a disappointing result. I lost two positions right at the start and could not get them back. Now we will concentrate on next week's test in Silverstone and the forthcoming race there."

Rubens Barrichello, Honda (14th):
To follow

Kazuki Nakajima, Williams (15th):
“It was a difficult race for us. We decided to go for a two stop strategy, which was the best direction to take under the circumstances. All weekend we’ve been suffering with a lack of pace and that hurt us during the race. We couldn’t have done much better today.”

Nico Rosberg, Williams (16th):
“In Canada, I was fighting the Ferraris and the BMWs, and here I was fighting at the back of the pack. It’s incredible, and not a very nice feeling. I thought I would be able to fight a bit more; I was giving it my all as usual, but the car simply didn’t have the speed and it was very difficult. I am now looking to score some points at Silverstone - at least I won’t have a grid penalty there!”

Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso (17th):
“As soon as Nakajima, who was on a one-stop, got ahead of me at the start, when my engine bogged down a little bit, it compromised my race. I lost touch with the pack ahead and then I had to let Raikkonen past, but as he was in difficulty, I was actually pulling away from him, but I still had waved blue flags, which I thought was a bit harsh, so I lost around three seconds letting him by and then more time behind him.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India (18th):
"Our target from today's race was to get to the end of the race and we did, so I am pleased from this respect as we have not finished the last three races. We had more reliability from the car but the pace was not as good as we would have liked at times. It was better than yesterday, but we need a step forward to move on. I'm looking forward to the Silverstone test now where we have some new parts that should deliver some more improvements."

Adrian Sutil, Force India (19th):
"We have had some better races this year. It was a bit frustrating. Both myself and Giancarlo had a very aggressive strategy to try to make up some more places in the race, but we also needed to have some luck. Unfortunately nothing happened in the race to other people so I had lots of times when I had to move over to let cars on the lead lap go past and got out of the rhythm. This was disappointing, seeing the cars passing you when you are lapping well. In the middle stint the pace was okay, it was just the strategy didn't work out in the end."

Jenson Button, Honda (DNF):
To follow.