2008 FORMULA 1 French Grand Prix

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 French Grand Prix

Post by MP4/4#12 » 22 Jun 2008, 15:30

phil1993 wrote:. Kimi was so lucky that Ferrari were in 'A Class of One' as Martin Brundle said.
Yeah i heard it too. 1st time i watched a race with Martin Brundle and THE James Allen commentating. Great job by Ferrari a 1-2 when every rivals had some problems and finally a nice performance by Piquet. But it was a shame it didn`t rain in the end, it would be great.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 Jun 2008, 15:33

if it was your first 'Allen race', just wait until Silverstone. Lewis will be mentioned in EVERY sentence!

formulaonemadman
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by formulaonemadman » 22 Jun 2008, 15:46

phil1993 wrote:if it was your first 'Allen race', just wait until Silverstone. Lewis will be mentioned in EVERY sentence!
don't forget the vodafone breaks!! :thumbsup:
thanks shail69 for the avator!!!

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?P36

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 Jun 2008, 15:49

nah, they're not so bad. Do you find yourself singing along with the Sony (sponsors) commercial?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 22 Jun 2008, 16:02

phil1993 wrote:nah, they're not so bad. Do you find yourself singing along with the Sony (sponsors) commercial?
I always find my self telling "One second can change everything. vodaföööne (english accent), make the most öf nööw" :)

Btw, I agree this time with Hamilton fans in that penalty is not fair.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

formulaonemadman
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by formulaonemadman » 22 Jun 2008, 16:05

can we say that button's wing off earlier is an accident(for the predictions game)

i can't stand those sony commercial's especially the iron maidens play with madness!
thanks shail69 for the avator!!!

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?P36

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 22 Jun 2008, 16:17

phil1993 wrote:By the way Sanredrose, on your sig, shouldn't 'Heiki' have another 'K' in it?
true but i didn't create the signature .. one of forum members created it for me & i am not aware how to edit it .. can u tell me how ???

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 22 Jun 2008, 16:22

phil1993 wrote:
Fergie1 wrote:Another stupid penalty from a stupid race director, yeah he should of given the place back precautionary but he was well ahead anyway. Its not like Vettel could of gone round the outside of him had he made the corner.
Yes, if he didnt do that, he would have crashed into Vettel or been shunted by the guy behind. The FIA should give a decision like that within a minute, so that Hamilton could let Vettel through with minimal damage. Not waiting for almost 20 laps before announcing his penalty. A similar thing happened to Alonso in Japan 2005, the FIA need to get sorted out. Hamilton will not let Vettel through as he wouldnt have thought anything of it, and anyway, Hamilton was already past Vettel
In both cases the drivers had completed the pass and after which they overshot the track because of the amount of speed they have carried in. But i don't know why should either Hamilton or Alonso be penalized for some basic physics of velocity and displacement ... Teach FIA - Physics !

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Rate the French Grand Prix 2008

Post by Sanredrose » 22 Jun 2008, 16:28

TwistedArmco wrote:Pfft.
"Ferrari International Assistance"
"McLaren witchhunt!"
"draconian penalty"

Give it a rest guys. He should have just given the place back to Vettel. Just because he was ahead on the road doesn't mean he'd have kept the place had he had to actually slow and actually take the corner. Vettel hung him out to dry, legally, and Hamilton paid the price for not respecting the Toro Rosso enough to let it back through.
May be i will accept with you for the first point - Ferrari Intl Asst .. That's probably not what happened. But Mclaren Witchhunt & Draconian Penalty are a little strong but can be accepted for this .. May be u shud think abt the same thing that happened to Alonso in 2005 !

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 22 Jun 2008, 16:33

TwistedArmco wrote: McLaren - cos I hate them. Although Heikki's cool.

8-Comments - Hamilton overdrove, and had he slowed down and taken the road rather than the green stuff, would he have kept the place? No. He'd have run wide or had to slow so much that he'd have lost a place/places. It doesn't matter that he was slightly ahead on the track, he's still got to keep it on the road, and the only way he could have maintained it was that way. Plus he hit Kovalainen, locked up badly three times behind Piquet and went for gaps that weren't there at 180, when Piquet took a wide line. A thoroughly poor weekend for Lewis.

EDIT: I forgot to laud Heikki! He had a great race. It was in that middle stint, in clean air that he just rocketed away from Piquet and put in the laps to jump Robert. He didn't pass Trulli, but he had a damned good try.
The bold one - Not acceptable ... because anyone can call any team as worst because they don like that team ..
The italic one - Suprising comment to hear from a Alonso fan ..

Comments - Hamilton overdrove ? May be yes .. But where did he hit Kovalainen ? There is a difference between being hit, touch & bump. Probably you should watch the onboard video before you say that ..

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 22 Jun 2008, 16:38

What did happen to Alonso in 2005? Do you mean 2006 at Monza?

But that is completely different, in that the "blocking incident" then wasn't even borderline. But not even that was to aid Ferrari, it was just the stewards getting a bit over-zealous, and Ferrari being bothered enough to "prove" the "block".

Regarding your other post:

"Hit" - the act of touching another car with yours. It was a light one, but a hit still, especially if something flew off one of the cars.. which it did.
"Cos I hate them" - lol, it was mainly to irk Macca fans :p . No they didn't have a particularly bad day. I just got annoyed as I was writing that when I heard Ron Dennis moaning about Hamilton's penalty.
"Heikki's cool" - well he is. He's personable, funny, reasonable and fair. And a good driver. Just because I'm an Alonso fan doesn't mean I hate everything of McLaren's. Heikki is one of the good guys.

About Renault's strategy, I reckon they were predicting rain at just after half-way, which is why when it didn't materialize, they were forced to pit and change to softs for a 28 lap stint anyway. Alonso's pace was so-so on a p*ss poor strategy. Piquet was put on a good two-stopper and drove a clever, solid race.
Last edited by TwistedArmco on 22 Jun 2008, 16:52, edited 2 times in total.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 22 Jun 2008, 17:12

Actually, with Alonso in 2005 it was slightly different.

He was first pinged for going over the final chicane, so he let Christian Klien back past. Then he took him back almost straight away. He was right up Klien's gearbox beforehand, so presumably gained no "advantage".

Then the Stewards said "let Klien back past", which he did, then said, "oops, we made a mistake, what you did was fair."
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 22 Jun 2008, 17:36

Here it says that Kimi can change his engine without penalty despite finishing the race:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68581

So who's right? :huh:

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 22 Jun 2008, 17:46

Ferrari uses his joker. FIA gives one-time-right-to-change engine witohut emposing any penalty just for once in 2008 season regardless whatsoever the reason might be. Ferrari haven't used it till now and now they say they might use it. I think, it's right time to do it. They can't rely on Kimi's engine in Silverstone.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Schumfs
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Schumfs » 22 Jun 2008, 17:48

I think the rules say that if the engine have been damaged and some pieces of the engine needs repair or change, they can do that.
Racing... Because football, basketball, volleyball... Requires ONE ball!!!