2008 RBS Grand Prix du Canada , Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Who will win the RBS Canadian Grand Prix?

Poll ended at 07 Jun 2008, 15:11

Lewis Hamilton
26%
Kimi Raikkonen
38%
Felipe Massa
14%
Robert Kubica
13%
Nick Heidfeld
No votes
Heikki Kovalainen
3%
Mark Webber
6%
Fernando Alonso
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 69

phil1993

2008 RBS Grand Prix du Canada , Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by phil1993 » 29 May 2008, 15:11

[center]2008 RBS Canadian Grand Prix
Image[/center]

The 2008 Canadian Grand Prix is a Formula One motor race which will be held on 8 June 2008 at 17:00 UTC, at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montréal, Canada. It is the seventh race of the 2008 Formula One season and the only race of the season taking place in North America. It is the 30th anniversary of the Canadian Grand Prix occurring on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

History

Code: Select all

The early Canadian Grand Prix was one of the premier events of the new Canadian Sports Car Championship, a series which had been created alongside the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport in 1961. Several international sports car as well as Formula One drivers participated in the event. For the first five years, the event would be won by drivers with either prior Formula One experience, or would enter the championship after winning the Canadian Grand Prix. In 1966 the Canadian-American Challenge Cup ran the event, with American Mark Donohue winning.[1] Formula One took over the following year, although the CSCC and Can-Am series continued to compete at Mosport in their own events.

The first winner in Montreal was Quebec native Gilles Villeneuve who died in 1982 on the final qualifying lap for the Belgian Grand Prix. A few weeks after his death, the race course in Montreal was named Circuit Gilles Villeneuve after him. Gilles Villeneuve was one of the first inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame, and the only Canadian winner at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

The 1982 Canadian Grand Prix, in the shadow of the death of Villeneuve a month earlier, saw another accident when Villeneuve's teammate Didier Pironi stalled on the grid. Raul Boesel struck the stationary vehicle, and Riccardo Paletti then struck the rear of Pironi's Ferrari. Pironi and F1 doctor Sid Watkins came to Paletti's aid to try to extract him from his car, which briefly caught fire. After a half hour, Paletti was extracted and flown to a nearby hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.

In 1987, the race was not held due to sponsorship dispute between two local breweries, Labatt and Molson. During the break the track was modified, and starting line moved to its current position.

Ferrari's Jean Alesi won the 1995 edition, which occurred on his 31st birthday and which would be the only win of his career. Alessi had inherited the lead when Michael Schumacher pitted with electrical problems and Damon Hill's hydraulics failed. the victory was a popular one for Alesi, particularly after several unrewarded drives the year before, namely in Italy. Alesi's win at Montreal was voted the most popular race victory of the season by many, as it was the number 27 Ferrari - once belonging to the famous Gilles Villeneuve at his much loved home Grand Prix. Schumacher gave Alesi a lift back to the pits after Alesi's car ran out of fuel just before the Pits Hairpin.

The 1997 Canadian Grand Prix was stopped early due to a crash involving Olivier Panis. He was sidelined for nine races and some see it as a turning point in the career of the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix winner.

In 1999, the final corner of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve became well-known for crashes involving former World Champions. Damon Hill, Michael Schumacher and Jacques Villeneuve all crashed into the same wall which had the slogan Bienvenue au Québec (Welcome to Quebec in English) on it. The wall became ironically known as the "Wall of Champions". The wall also was involved in a crash with Ricardo Zonta, who was, at the time, the reigning FIA GT sports car champion. In recent years, GP2 Champion Nico Rosberg and CART Champion Juan Pablo Montoya have also fallen victim to the wall.

In 2001, there was the first sibling 1-2 finish in the history of Formula 1, as Ralf and Michael Schumacher topped the podium. The Schumacher brothers would finish 1-2 in the 2003 edition as well. 2001 was also noted for Jean Alesi achieving Prost's best finish of the season; he celebrated his fifth place by doing several donuts in his vehicle, and throwing his helmet into the crowd.

The 2007 race was the site of rookie Lewis Hamilton's first win. On lap 67, Takuma Sato overtook the McLaren-Mercedes's Fernando Alonso, to cheers around the circuit, just after overtaking Ralf Schumacher and having overtaken Ferrari's Kimi Räikkönen earlier in the race.[1][2] The race saw Sato move from the middle of the grid to the back of the pack and to a high of fifth before a pit-stop error caused him to move back to eleventh. Sato he fought up 5 places in the field in the last 15 laps to finish sixth. Sato was voted "Driver of the Day" on the ITV website over Lewis Hamilton's first win.

In the weeks leading up the Grand Prix, city officials trap as many groundhogs as they can in and around the race course, and transport the animals to nearby Ile Ste-Helene.[3] Nonetheless, in 2007, a groundhog disrupted the practice session of Ralf Schumacher. On race day itself, Anthony Davidson had been running in third until he struck a groundhog, initially thought to be a beaver, which forced him to pit and repair the damage to his front wing.
Fri 06 June 2008
Friday Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Friday Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30
Sat 07 June 2008
Saturday Practice 10:00 - 11:00
Qualifying 13:00
Sun 08 June 2008
Race 13:00

All times are local times (GMT-4)

Drivers:
01 Lewis Hamilton 38
02 Kimi Räikkönen 35
03 Felipe Massa 34
04 Robert Kubica 32
05 Nick Heidfeld 20
06 Heikki Kovalainen 15
07 Mark Webber 15
08 Fernando Alonso 9
09 Jarno Trulli 9
10 Nico Rosberg 8
11 Kazuki Nakajima 7
12 Sebastian Vettel 4
13 Jenson Button 3
14 Rubens Barrichello 3

Constructors:
01 Ferrari 69
02 McLaren-Mercedes 53
03 BMW Sauber 52
04 Williams-Toyota 15
05 Red Bull-Renault 15
06 Toyota 9
07 Renault 9
08 STR-Ferrari 6
09 Honda 6
10 Force India-Ferrari 0

Best Times Last Race (2007)
Best times set during the race weekend.

Fastest lap                  1:15.486
Fastest lap driver           Lewis Hamilton
Fastest lap team             McLaren-Mercedes
Session                      Qualifying (Q2)

Sector 1 time                21.110 seconds
Sector 1 driver              Fernando Alonso 
Sector 1 team                McLaren-Mercedes
Session                      Qualifying

Sector 2 time                24.016 seconds
Sector 2 driver              Lewis Hamilton
Sector 2 team                McLaren-Mercedes

Sector 3 time                30.255 seconds
Sector 3 driver              Fernando Alonso
Sector 3 team                McLaren-Mercedes

Combined best lap            1:15.381

Notes:
Best sector times of races are unavailable, the sector times presented are the fastest ones of those that are available and may not represent the fastest times during the weekend.
Timetable

Local time:                              EDT (UTC - 4 Hours)
Western European Times (UK etc.):        CEST - 1 Hour
Eastern European Times (Finland etc.):   CEST + 1 Hour

Session                      CEST             EDT            Stream / Channel
Friday 6th June
F1 Friday Practice 1         16:00-17:30      10:00-11:30    ITV
F1 Friday Practice 2         20:00-21:30      14:00-15:30    Several Available (See Streams)

Saturday 7th June
F1 Saturday Practice         16:00-17:00      10:00-11:00    See Streams
F1 Qualifying                19:00            13:00          Several Available (See Streams)

Sunday 8th June
F1  Race (58 Laps)           19:00            13:00          Several Available (See Streams)
Notes: Times are only listed in CEST and EDT (Europe and US)

Weather
Check these sites for weather updates, 5-10 day forecast:
Weather.com
Accuweather
Yahoo Weather

Live Streams
Programs used: Sopcast, TVU Player, PPMate, TV Ants
Schedule

CHANNEL            STREAM          STREAM ID  TYPE                FP1  FP2  FP3  Qualifying  Race  
ITV                ITV Web         N/A        Flash - Web based     X    X                X     X
SpeedTV            Wheels          N/A        TVU Player                 X                X     X 
Star Sports        Star Sports     10005      TVU Player                                  X     X 
                   Star Sports     N/A        PPMate                                      X     X 
CCTV5              CCTV5           10007      TVUPlayer                                         X 
                   CCTV5           6002       SopCast                                           X  
RTL                RTL Web         N/A        MMS - Web based                             X     X
Eurosport France   Eurosport (?)   N/A        TVAnts                X    X    X                     
Links:
ITV, [url=tvu://53060]Wheels[/url], [url=tvu://10005]Star Sports TVU[/url], [url=ppmate://www.ppsportstv.com/channels/PCAST182.txt]Star Sports PPMate[/url], [url=sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/6002]CCTV 5 SopCast[/url], [url=tvu://10007]CCTV 5 TVU[/url], [url=tvants://www.tvants.com/tvants/?k=66c19d44a27ecb46]CCTV 5 TVAnts[/url], [url=ppmate://ps.itv.mop.com/channels/DEFAULT/txt/1,0,0,75/PCAST_26.txt]CCTV 5 PPMate[/url], RTL
Notes:
The streams listed above should work. ITV and RTL are only available have an IP from the respective country (UK and Germany), use of a proxy will get around this. Eurosport France airs all the pratice sessions, but it's not known if a stream is available as it were last year. There may be a SopCast stream for FP3, check the schedule for details.

Video Threads
coming soon...

Live Timing
Live Timing for all sessions, requires Java & account on F1.com:
http://www.formula1.com/services/live_t ... popup.html

Results
Free Pratice 1
Free Pratice 2
Free Pratice 3
Qualifying
Race

links:
Wikipedia - Canadian Grand Prix
The Official Formula 1 Website
Canadian Grand Prix Official Website

Edited By Zack: ...

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2008 RBS Canadian Grand Prix

Post by Fergie1 » 29 May 2008, 20:55

I'd put my money on Hamilton or Kovalainen to win after their pace last year. Ferrari will be close(possibly ahead of everyone else as this years McLaren is better on sweeping corners) if Massa doesn't knob it up and Raikkonen is on form.

Mytola
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Mytola » 29 May 2008, 20:55

Really looking forward to this! It is one of my favourite circuits for sure, and the one I drive the most in my F1-games. I hope for Kubica to finally get a win, allthough I'm not so sure if it will actually happen.

gruven
kart driver
kart driver

Post by gruven » 30 May 2008, 04:12

Anyone planning on attending the race this year? I'm hoping to at least check out the pitwalk and practice this year as long as work doesn't get in the way

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 30 May 2008, 06:14

Ferrari won't using be using 'Holy Nose' and will be second race for the engine which aren't stressed in Monaco.According to me Ferrari will be ahead ... They have straight line speed advantage while Mclaren have its in braking.In confuse abt BMW :blink:

Weather :cheezy:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 May 2008, 09:29

according to msn it will be slightly wet all weekend- but more of a light rain rather than the rain we saw in Monaco

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 May 2008, 12:08

This is how im feeling the race:

1-Massa- I think hes gonna show good on this track, and really take it to McLaren and Kimi
2-Kimi- I think if he isnt second, he'll be first
3-Heikki- I think he'll shine here, should he have no bad luck or be the mclaren lab rat
4-Lewis- I dont think both the car and him are asgood as last year. I think, he could get 3rd or 4th.
5-Kubica- I am hoping he will be on the podium, he'll be out to prove himself after last year.
6/7/8- I think this will be hard to judge in position, but im going to say Heidfeld,Alonso and Webber will take this spots in any order. I think Jarno may also be in there.

Im gonna say that... DC has a crash. Sutil will retire and bourdais will too. Honda's will be 13-14th and coulthard will be... 15th or 16th. The williams and Toyota's will take the 9/10/11/13 spots.

goodluck to all of them

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 30 May 2008, 12:50

Wet race yet again?? Oh no!!! :cheezy:

Kimi should comeback from his disastrous race in Monaco

Ferrari has an advantage here, they car seems to have a better balance compared to the others

So I think it will be Kimi's day, and Lewis could split the 2 Ferrari, BMW still remains the 3rd best team
and watch out for Redbull Racing and Mark Webber as well Flag:##

IElectronic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by IElectronic » 30 May 2008, 13:14

raikkonen4ever wrote:Wet race yet again?? Oh no!!! :cheezy:

Kimi should comeback from his disastrous race in Monaco

Ferrari has an advantage here, they car seems to have a better balance compared to the others

So I think it will be Kimi's day, and Lewis could split the 2 Ferrari, BMW still remains the 3rd best team
and watch out for Redbull Racing and Mark Webber as well Flag:##
Ferrari's car is not better than McLaren's round Montreal, lol.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 30 May 2008, 13:50

IElectronic wrote:Ferrari's car is not better than McLaren's round Montreal, lol.
Don't bet on it, Ferrari has much more straight line speed than McLaren.

McLaren-F1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by McLaren-F1 » 30 May 2008, 14:33

straight line speed don't mean much in Canada what's important in Canada is breaks,traction and set-up..i think McLaren-Ferrrari-BMW will be competitve but i predict Hamilton will win this GP..
4ever McLaren...

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 30 May 2008, 15:26

I think both Mclaren and Ferrari are equally matched. Moreover you can bet on overtaking only on the way to hairpin or the long straight at the end of the circuit. Mclaren do very well in sweeping corners and Canada was good for them last year. But with rain or wet conditions in the weekend, i think Ferrari - Mclaren - BMW all are at the same foot ... You could see how Kubica was flying in the wets .. So don't count out BMW. If it rains then its the race of the driver who doesn't do any mistakes ! A mistake in Canada can very well end your Grand Prix on the walls with Safety car on the road !

Straight line speed is a different issue. If you consider the wet race of Monaco all drivers topped at 288 - 286 kmph. Almost 10 drivers were in this segment. So when it rains i believe the drivers can't use the full potential of the car in terms of speed. What they are looking for is more grip on the track not speed !

Anyways i am counting on Mclaren to win. Probably Heikki this time ? That would be good. May be Lewis in 2nd place !

redmpav
kart driver
kart driver

Post by redmpav » 30 May 2008, 17:41

I think we are going to see a resurgent Kimi, he had a bad outing in Turkey and a terrible race at Monaco. I think with the additional pressure the media has put on him, Kimi will have a dominate race in Canada to quiet his critics.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 30 May 2008, 19:28

Hmm, well the Ferraris showed well in Monaco, in the dry at least. If it's a wet race though, I may just hide behind my sofa and hope Lewis slews off for good. Kimi will be resurgent, but I don't think he'll do very good in the rain which I reckon Canada will get. Lewis unfortunately will win. I'd like to see a good FA showing most of all. A podium. Or a lucky wet race result.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 30 May 2008, 19:54

According to my calculation(which can be s***) ..f2008 has improved over issues of using kerbs which they had in f2007... logically thinking Ferrari at least for now has edge over mclaren ..also considering the fact that you lose more in slow sector than gaining in fast sector.In wet condition everything will be different ...! :cool:

some Stats..

Fastest Laps on Montreal

2003 1:10.502 Fernando Alonso
2004 1:13.622 Rubens Barrichello
2005 1:14.384 Kimi Raikkonen
2006 1:15.841 Kimi Raikkonen
2002 1:15.960 Juan Pablo Montoya

RA - races | VI - victories | PD - podiums
PL - pole positions | FL - fastest laps | FIP - finish in points | PO - points
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage