It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 03:13

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next

Who will win the Monaco Grand Prix
Poll ended at 24 May 2008, 14:36
Kimi Raikkonen 38%  38%  [ 41 ]
Felipe Massa 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Lewis Hamilton 39%  39%  [ 42 ]
Heikki Kovalainen 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Robert Kubica 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Nick Heidfeld 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Fernando Alonso 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109
 Post subject: Re: 2008 Monaco Grand Prix - Grand Prix de Monaco
PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 06:02  
GP2 Driver

Quote:
Monaco tech file
Monaco may be the most unique race on the Formula 1 calendar, but for the engineers the challenge remains the same: fine-tuning their car to achieve maximum performance around the demanding street circuit. It’s an unforgiving place, and getting the most out of the R28 around the twisty streets will require an unusual set-up and commitment from the driver.

As a street course, the track surface is quite low grip in the early part of the weekend, but come Sunday, the track will be nicely rubbered-in and will continue to improve until the final lap of the Grand Prix.

Ride Heights
The roads in the Principality may feel billiard-table-smooth at the wheel of a road car, but they are incredibly bumpy for the rock-hard suspension of a Formula 1 car. To cope with the variations in track surface, ride heights are raised between 5 and 7mm relative to the norm.The public roads are also sharply cambered and very slippery – especially on the traffic markings that are dotted around the circuit.

Suspension
In order to maximise the car’s grip, the team will use softer suspension settings than normal. They help the car to ride the bumps and changes of camber. The surface also means that the wheels must be able to move independently to cope with the bumps, and we soften the anti-roll bars to achieve this. Special attention is paid to suspension camber angles too. The key objective is to give the driver a neutral, driveable car that he can have confidence in around the circuit.

Aerodynamics
Monaco demands the highest downforce levels of the season. Contrary to popular belief, the primary benefit does not come in the corners, as many of them are taken at such low speeds that mechanical grip is of greater importance. Rather, the gains from high downforce come under braking and acceleration, keeping the car stable into the corners and ensuring optimum traction on the exit.

Steering angle
The famous hairpin at the Grand Hotel is the tightest of the year – along with the sharp turn at Rascasse. Monaco therefore demands the highest steering angle of the season, some two times greater than anything required in Barcelona. Dedicated Monaco front suspension is produced to ensure the necessary steering lock can be applied.

Tyres
Monaco is not particularly demanding on the tyres due to the slow nature of the circuit. As such, Bridgestone will supply the softest compounds in the range (soft and super-soft), which will help deliver good traction out of the low-speed corners.

Gearbox
Closely-spaced gear ratios are used at this circuit in order to optimise acceleration, and get the most from the engine at slow speeds. The gearbox will have to cope with 53 gear changes per lap – a total of nearly 4150 in the race.

Engine
Superficially, Monaco may seem the least demanding circuit of the year, with just 45% of the lap spent on full throttle. Appearances, though, do not reflect reality. The bumpy surface means the engine can easily over-rev if the wheels leave contact with the ground. A driveable engine and good traction from very low revs are extremely important.

SOURCE: http://www.f1technical.net/news/9167?si ... 804e2b25d1
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 07:10  

Looks like we're gonna have a dry practice, but a wet quali and race:

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 12:30  
kart driver

That... is a GOOD thing
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 16:47  
GP2 Driver

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? Hopefully, my heart says yes, my brain says yes, but still I feel it will be tough.

2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? No, unless everyone else has a bad race.

3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki? I think another podium at least, I think Heikki deserves it more, and he has been quicker sometimes. I would have to say Hamilton though.

4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? No, I think maybe 5th and 6th possibly a 4th

5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? Try to finish in the points, maybe 8th.

6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong? Mmmmm, They will fight with renault fot the last of the points, if you think that is strong.

Just a question from me, will the pole-sitter win?

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 17:24  
kart driver

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? Yes, he is in my opinion the best driver in F1 and if he get pole, he will win this race.
2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? No, definitely not.
3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki? Well, they will try, but I don't think they have a chance. And even if, it will be Hamilton.
4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? If they will do the strategy with low fuel, then yes.
5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? Renault is not strong enough strong. He will get perhaps six place or something like that.
6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong? Again? I didn't ever seen that they were strong. Can you say when they were strong?

Sorry for my bad English :).

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 18:04  
F1 Driver

In Monaco GP, "drivers must change gear a staggering 54 times per lap at Monaco, meaning more than 4,200 changes over the course of the race. Just 42 percent of the lap is spent at full throttle, with the longest period of full-throttle running a mere eight seconds." -Formula.com

That means, new gear box will pleasantly be welcomed by all teams. Circuit is not a demanding track engine-wise speaking. Yet, we could see retirements based on gear-box issues.

The following drivers will start Monaco GP with a new engine:

01 Ferrari - Kimi Raikkonen
    02 Ferrari - Felipe Massa
    04 BMW - Robert Kubica
    06 Renault - Nelson Piquet Jr.
    08 Williams - Kazuki Nakajima (As he retired from Turkey GP - Optional)
    09 Red Bull - David Coulthard
    11 Toyota - Jarno Trulli
    12 Toyota - Timo Glock
    14 Toro Rosso - Sebastian Bourdais (NEW CAR DEBUT)
    15 Toro Rosso - Sebastian Vettel (NEW CAR DEBUT)
    21 Force India - Giancarlo Fisichella (As he retired from Turkey GP - Optional)

The following drivers will start Monaco GP with a new gear box:

01 Ferrari - Kimi Raikkonen
    02 Ferrari - Felipe Massa
    08 Williams - Kazuki Nakajima (As he retired from Turkey GP - Optional)
    09 Red Bull - David Coulthard
    11 Toyota - Jarno Trulli
    21 Force India - Giancarlo Fisichella
    14 Toro Rosso - Sebastian Bourdais (NEW CAR DEBUT)
    15 Toro Rosso - Sebastian Vettel (NEW CAR DEBUT - 5-place grid penalty)

The following drivers' gear boxes will perform their second race:

03 BMW - Nick Heidfeld
    04 BMW - Robert Kubica
    05 Renault - Fernando Alonso
    07 Williams - Nico Rosberg
    10 Red Bull - Mark Webber
    17 Honda - Rubens Barrichello
    20 Force India - Adrian Sutil
    22 McLaren Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton
    23 McLaren Mercedes - Heikki Kovalainen

The following drivers' gear boxes will perform their third race:

16 Honda - Jenson Button
    06 Renault - Nelson Piquet Jr.

The following driver's gear box will perform its last race:

12 Toyota - Timo Glock

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 18:15  

thanks for the info xyneid. I'm off to revise for a Biology, Chemistry and Physics exam tomorrow.

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 18:26  
F1 Driver

phil1993 wrote:
thanks for the info xyneid. I'm off to revise for a Biology, Chemistry and Physics exam tomorrow.

ATB :thumbsup:

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 18:39  
F1 Rookie

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen?- hopefully
2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites?- no (i'm suprised he has won at all this year)
3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki?- if they do, i want heikki
4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit?- no
5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco?- if he drives like that quali lap at spain, he could win, but i think he will get some good points
6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong?- webber's looking pretty good at the moment, trulli's good at quali, and monaco is basically decided by quali, so both red bull and toyota can be strong, but they'll be fighting each other and about 4 other midfielders for points

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 18:48  

xyneid wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

ATB :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: tonight i will be revising hard whilst :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: (and watching the semi finals of the Eurovision Song contest- always jokes! :p )

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 19:03  

So if the practice is dry but all the important events are in wet weather it's pretty useless. :roll:: Besides, I think that it's highly recommended that the drivers get some good training on the wet track before running all out in the quali and race causing lots of red flags.

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 19:08  
F1 Driver

AzShadow wrote:
So if the practice is dry but all the important events are in wet weather it's pretty useless. :roll:: Besides, I think that it's highly recommended that the drivers get some good training on the wet track before running all out in the quali and race causing lots of red flags.

Have you seen that they do pour water on the track in order the drivers to make a wet training sessions for events having a possibility to be wet?

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 19:58  

Well, do you think that they'd do so now? There have been many times when they've had a dry practice and the rest of the weekend's been wet and all the practice's been useless. :?

PostPosted: 20 May 2008, 20:03  
F1 Driver

Well, if rain will drop without any doubt, they might be. Otherwise, they could be very dangerous anyway.

Btw, I really wonder which one of both driver couple in Ferrari and McLaren will be given chance to be lighter at Q3 to get the pole. In Istanbul, Heikki was heavier, so did Raikkonen. Now, is it their turn to be lighter?

PostPosted: 21 May 2008, 09:43  
F1 Rookie

I think Massa use an engine which he used in Turkey...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next