Total votes: 109

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

2008 Monaco Grand Prix - Grand Prix de Monaco

Post by Ali » 15 May 2008, 14:34

2008 Monaco Grand Prix

Track Info:

Wikipedia wrote:The Monaco Grand Prix (Grand Prix de Monaco) is a Formula One race held each year on the Circuit de Monaco. Run since 1929, it is widely considered to be one of the most important and prestigious automobile races in the world alongside the Indianapolis 500 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans (with which it forms the Triple Crown of Motorsport). The history, spectacle and glamour result in the race being considered "the jewel of the Formula One crown".

The first race in 1929, was organised by Anthony Noghès under the auspices of the "Automobile Club de Monaco", and was won by William Grover-Williams driving a Bugatti. The event was part of the pre-Second World War European Championship and was included in the first Formula One World Championship in 1950. The race is held on a narrow course laid out in the streets of Monaco, with many elevation changes and tight corners, making it one of the most demanding tracks in Formula One. In spite of the relatively low average speeds, it is a dangerous place to race.

Brazil's Ayrton Senna has won the race more times than any other driver, with six victories, winning five consecutively between 1989 and 1993. Graham Hill was known as "Mr Monaco" due to his five Monaco wins in the 1960s.
History:
  • Multiple Winners:

6 - Ayrton Senna 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993
    5 - Graham Hill 1963, 1964, 1965, 1968, 1969 / Michael Schumacher 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001
    4 - Alain Prost 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988
    3 - Stirling Moss 1956, 1960, 1961 / Jackie Stewart 1966, 1971, 1973
  • Previous Winners:

2007 - Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
    2006 - Fernando Alonso Renault
    2005 - Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
    2004 - Jarno Trulli Renault
    2003 - Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
  • Last Year Results:

Code: Select all

Pole Position:	Fernando Alonso - 1:15.726
    Fastest Lap:	Fernando Alonso - 1:15.284

Pos	Driver			Team
    1	Fernando Alonso		McLaren-Mercedes
    2	Lewis Hamilton		McLaren-Mercedes
    3	Felipe Massa		Ferrari
    4	Giancarlo Fisichella	Renault
    5	Robert Kubica		BMW
    6	Nick Heidfeld		BMW
    7	Alexander Wurz		Williams-Toyota
    8	Kimi Räikkönen		Ferrari
Current Driver Standings:
  • Code: Select all

Pos	Driver			Points 
    01	Kimi Räikkönen		35 
    02	Felipe Massa		28 
    03	Lewis Hamilton		28 
    04	Robert Kubica		24 
    05	Nick Heidfeld		20 
    06	Heikki Kovalainen	14 
    07	Mark Webber			10 
    08	Jarno Trulli		09 
    09	Fernando Alonso		09 
    10	Nico Rosberg		08

Current Constructor Standings:

Pos   Constructor	Points
    01 	Ferrari 	63
    02 	BMW Sauber 	44
    03 	McLaren-Mercedes 	42
    04 	Williams-Toyota 	13
    05 	Red Bull-Renault 	10
    06 	Toyota 	9
    07 	Renault 	9
    08 	Honda 	3
    09 	STR-Ferrari 	2
    10 	Force India-Ferrari 	0
Timetable:

Thu 22 May 2008
    Thursday Practice 1 	10:00 - 11:30
    Thursday Practice 2 	14:00 - 15:30

Sat 24 May 2008
    Saturday Practice 	11:00 - 12:00
    Qualifying 	14:00

Sun 25 May 2008
    Race 	14:00
Weather:
Live Streams
Discussion:
  • 1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen?
    2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites?
    3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki?
    4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit?
    5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco?
    6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong?
  • PS: Feel Free to share other your opinions or views.
Video Section:
-very soon-
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: 2008 Monaco Grand Prix - Grand Prix de Monaco

Post by JoostLamers » 15 May 2008, 17:18

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? Nope, hope McLaren will b as strong as they were in 2007
2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? Nope, same above :p
3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki? Both, hoping for a one (Lewis) two (Heikki)
4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? Don't know were to put the BMWs ''hmm''
5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? Not a hattrick! :thumbsup:
6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong? I think Williams will be strong, as always in Monaco :thumbsup:

This is my favorite race of the year. Monaco is the glitter and glamour of the F1 !yahoo: Can't wait!!!
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

2008 Grand Prix de Monaco

Post by phil1993 » 15 May 2008, 17:39

• 1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? NO
    2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? NO
    3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki? Yes and hopefully with Lewis
    4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? Yes, i think they are the best placed to challenge the Maccas, but it will be very very tight
    5. What will Alonso, the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? Complain some more about how Ferrari and McLaren win everything and amble around to finish in 6th (ish)
Maybe

...i'm looking forward to Free Practice...lots of accidents due to loss of TC???

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 15 May 2008, 17:40

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen?
if he qualifies in the front row and gets off cleanly, most likely another ferrari win
nope - even if he qualifies in the front row
depends on qualy....top 3 qualy about 50% chance to win, else 10% chance to win
hmmm....no idea, but they are the darkhorse for the race win
hmmm....slam the rear end of lewis' car ( :pray: pls don't let it happen ) :nosweat:
i think toyota will beat red bull @ monaco

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 15 May 2008, 17:52

• I don't think they will arrive in Monaco as favorites. As the last test sessions in Paul Richasrds show, Ferrari and McLaren are so so close together. But it shows one other thing that Ferrari has improved their car comperad to its predecessor. Situation is not quite clear.
  • I don't think so. Even if Rob states that 28 points out of 30 is a championship material, I underline Massa won these points from the tracks which he only won last year. But, he's very strong in qualifying. If Ferrari is competetive enough, Massa will have a chance, provided that he won't ruin it due to non-TC.
  • I think Lewis will be ver very strong. My favorite is Lewis for this race.
  • Yes definitely. They can split Ferrari and McLaren. But not a possible race winner.
  • Well, nope. R28 won't allow Alonso to compete, unfortunately.
  • I feel Red Bull can be a surprise team in Monaco.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

F1~Michi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1~Michi » 15 May 2008, 18:18

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen
Kimi is one of those drivers who rarely makes mistakes, and without TC, that's gonna' be the key for a good race at Monaco. Definitely one to watch for next weekend!
Don't think so. Massa is one of those drivers who just can win either from pole-position, or on his favorite tracks. And Monaco certainly ain't one of his best tracks, considering his result in 2006 and 2007. Also: Without TC, he's very likely to spin out, as traction is everything at Monaco.
They had been pretty strong in the past here, but since Ferrari wheelbase is shorter than last year (that's of course a disadvantage at street tracks), they'll be more competitive. I'd say it'll be a very close decision between Ferrari and McLaren, slight advantage for the British team, though.
Anything can happen at Monaco. We just need a well-timed Safety-Car Period for BMW, or they go riskier in Qualifying and put one of their drivers light on fuel. They're just a few tenths behind the top-teams, and with such a different kind of track respectively a bit of luck, it can be possible.
Even a two-times champion won't do miracles in such a car like the Renault. Points are possible, but not more.
Don't think so, at least for Toyota. They had never been exceptionally good here. However, Red Bull had some strong results (e.g. the podium, even though they were lucky in 2006), and they obviously improved from Barcelona to Turkey. However, I also expect Williams to be a contender for some points, and Nico is one of those drivers who are also good when it comes to get the best acceleration (resp. no errors or spins) without TC.
F1M's Motorsport Season 2010

WAMozart
car driver
car driver

Post by WAMozart » 15 May 2008, 18:27

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? No, but Raikkönnen wil beat his rivals except for Kubica :)))
2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? No, never he is not a winner type!!!
3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki?,No, and heikki if yes :DD
4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? Yes this track charasteristics is great for them i hope, and i think!!!
5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? Maybe a hard podium when its raining, but no more.
6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong? Toyota will worse, Red bull will keep up his form, but wont improve.

Intermediate07

Post by Intermediate07 » 15 May 2008, 20:28

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? I hope not!
2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? Same like Nr.1
3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki? Yes, Lewis will win the GP! =)
4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? I don`t think that they will be a danger for McLaren and Ferrari! !yahoo:
5. What will Alonso, the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? In my opinion he will drive on P7 or 8!
6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong? Maybe...

kimifantuga
kart driver
kart driver

Post by kimifantuga » 15 May 2008, 20:44

1-ferrari make so much improvements compared with last year... kimi if not make any mistake in qualify, he will win this race...ferrari last year in monaco have a very problems with the softs tyres, this year works very well. Flag:##
2- massa is a driver with very dificulties in monaco, with ou TC, is more dificult.
3-mclaren have a strong position in monaco, but i believe, with ou TC heikki will make better than lewis...
4-i don't expect a strong race by bmw sauber
5- alonso have chances to finish near the podium positions
6-toyota will have problems in monaco gp, red bull have a car to make a good race, if toro rosso run with str3, have chances to make a good race too.

i hope kimi will win the monaco GP, like 2005...in 2006 is out with mecanical problem wen he run in second...last year make a stupid mistake in kualify struggled his race. this year he have more confidence in the car and hasn't problems

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 15 May 2008, 20:51

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? Might be, it depends on the qualifying as well. and there are many other things that might spoil your race. but i expect mclaren to have a little more advantage over ferrari. Well it depends on strategy as well.

2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? Yes, why not. Only if his favourite tracks are all the tracks on the calender.

3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki? They might be hoping for A 1,2 finish. but heikki luck has been drying out. but who knows, he might win it.

4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? Well, BMW are just behind Mclaren, where Ferrari will be at monaco and hence we might have a battle between ferrari and BMW with Mclaren a few seconds in front.

5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? I expect him to be strong. and if he decides to do what he did in qualifying in spain and be on the front row. overtaking him will be difficult.

6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong? I guess Williams are too far behind red bull and toyota I expect Glock to be competiting with roseberg and as always a mid battle between coulthard,webber and truilli. nakajima........ i guess he might be behind roseberg.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 15 May 2008, 21:09

@xyneid : well done m8 & ty :thumbsup:

Monaco is one off.Ferrari don't have very strong history here ... last year p3 massa was 60sec down to p1&p2 macs ..but that time was different with too many things happening in pits ..white powder & all those!!! ...this year Ferrari has opted to smaller wheelbase + plus on going winning momentum ..i think they have chance.

Dunno .. Massa surely have improved, so might be he will able to win more!

According to the last race they are almost thr ... so its tough call ..hopefully we might enjoy three way fight for top positions :cheezy:
In simple word i don't want them to win. :p

I want BMW to win ..more than Ferrari :) BMW :pray:

no way its impossible under normal race.

I think Toyota/Trulli will be strong and Red bull will be fighting for points with Renault/Alonso.

I predict good qualifying & boring race :lol:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 15 May 2008, 21:17

qualifying are always important in Monaco.

With a track, where overtaking is impossible, you have to qualify amongst the top ones, and then, prepare a good fuel strategy for the race.

Luckily this is one of the few tracks where drivers' abilities are more important than the cars' potential.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 15 May 2008, 21:25

i think they should modify the circuit and include a fast straight for overtaking maybe. And make it a little longer but i dont also want to miss the 77 laps (highest)

and i find it always hard to drive here while i am playing the F1 game on my pc and i am surprised by the way the drivers drive around this track.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 15 May 2008, 21:48

shail69 wrote:i think they should modify the circuit and include a fast straight for overtaking maybe.
That would sort of defeat the whole point of Monaco, its meant to be a street circuit.

musashi_sw
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by musashi_sw » 16 May 2008, 00:49

1. Will Ferrari continue its winning ways with Raikkonen? - nope
2. Will Massa win a race in a track other than his favorites? - yes...he change a lot now i belive that he can win several races [but not as much as kimi]
3. Will McLaren-Mercedes bounce back? And with who, Lewis or Heikki? - yes, lewis
4. Will BMW-Sauber show their potential in this tight-and-twisty circuit? - nope, will be always 3° team, they are far from mclaren and ferrari
5. What will Alonso the back-to-back winner do in Monaco? - probably try to beat one of the bmws
6. Will Toyota and Red Bull be again strong? - yes