1%

Total votes: 109

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2008 Monaco Grand Prix - Grand Prix de Monaco

Post by Ali » 26 May 2008, 19:17

Italian press hails Monaco master Hamilton
Live-F1 wrote:Even the notoriously nationalistic Italian press had to hail Ferrari adversary Lewis Hamilton's win on the streets of Monaco on Sunday.

"With extraordinary talent, Lewis was the master of the wet circuit; he did not even have the best car," La Gazzetta dello Sport, the Italian sports newspaper, wrote.

Famous Italian marque Ferrari, hindered by numerous team and driver mistakes on Sunday afternoon, struggled at the Principality despite locking out the front row of the grid in qualifying.

"Ferrari remains strong enough but Maranello may take the liberty of no more errors," Corriere dello Sport, another Italian sports newspaper, surmised.

Tuttosport, a Turin-based sports newspaper, characterised the Prancing Horse's Monte Carlo outing as a "half-disaster," and La Stampa said the race had been a "blackout" amid the common perception that the F2008 is still the quickest car in the field.

"After seven years Ferrari had hoped for victory in the Principality but must again accept humiliation. McLaren fully deserves this victory," Tuttosport concluded.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 May 2008, 20:19

Master Hamilton, with extraordinary talent !cool!!!! :cheesy:
Hail to the Italian Press :nosweat:
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 26 May 2008, 20:54

Thats good to hear the Italian Press being supportive. Also, someone on another site mentioned that in interviews, drivers are nearly always using the phrase "for sure" which started off with the non-english using it and now (nearly) all of them seem to be. I noticed it, has anyone else?

starbright
kart driver
kart driver

Post by starbright » 26 May 2008, 21:15

Italian press about British driver? You shoud read British press about Polish driver :cheezy:
Times Online wrote:Special mention must go to Kubica, a driver in similar mould to Massa, who looks wild on this circuit in comparison with the smoother stylists such as Raikkonen or Jenson Button, the Honda driver, but who is frighteningly quick. The Pole was alone among the leaders in not making an error all afternoon and he thoroughly deserved his second place on the podium after a thrilling drive for BMW Sauber. Kubica has thrashed his team-mate, Nick Heidfeld, this season - the German was fourteenth yesterday - and has now established himself as the clear No1 for a team who next year could be in the hunt for a championship.

lealjaime
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by lealjaime » 26 May 2008, 21:39

mikhailv wrote:
xyneid wrote:
mikhailv wrote:Its probably just me, but did anyone else feel nothing special regarding lewis winning the race?

I mean, he hardly did anything and won the race. Im not saying anything too critical, but most of his wins always happen when nobody challenges him. Take last year, canada theres was kubica's accident, ferrari sucked and Alonso was just arsing around and was sh*t being fair. Indianopolis, didnt have much pressure, ALonso was faster but couldnt get the slipstream so let it go in the end. Hungary, slower BMW's couldnt challenge him much and Alonso was penalised for blocking (which was a stupid retalliation move to be fair). Japan saw terrible antics behind the safety car causing Webber and Vettel to collide once again leaving slower BMW's to chase him. Then Australia 08, where the ferrari's sucked terribly
In those races, Lewis did what others couldn't manage to do. You can describe any race win of any driver in the similar way you do. That's not a healthy inference though, just another biased conclusion. Race win is dependent on so many parametres. Lewis has done what he had to do perfectly and waited for others to screw up. Lewis was so consistent last year and made two big mistakes which cost him WC.
I guess the point im trying to make, is that upto yet, lewis hasnt done anything spectacular. All his wins have laid on the luck of other drivers. You could say its bias, but when i see the likes of Kimi, Massa and Alonso all being dismissed as lesser drivers by many people, but seeing them fight tooth nail for a percentage of their vicories, not just winning from pole position and relying on others' luck, but from their skill in overtaking and genuine racing wheel to wheel.

As of yet, we havnt seen lewis do that against the ferrari yet. Ofcourse you could say Massa and Turkey, but when your 7 laps less fuel and 9 tenths quicker, youd expect him to overtake in turkey as its renouned for its overtaking places on track.

In my eyes lewis needs to prove himself. Last year was quite strange. He was most likely the most consistent driver, where Alonso just, was s*** in some races, but then remembered he was a world champion and decimated the field when he won IE european grand prix last year from a fantastic charge at Felipe.

Taking away all of the hype, all of the bias commentary, interview with him and everything. I havnt seen anything thats consistent 'world champion' material from lewis this or last year. Credit to him winning monaco, he didnt make a mistake when it counted, its just that, i felt 'oh lewis won'. that was it. perhaps seeing nothing of him all race was a joy and a curse, as no senna remarks for 2 hours was nice to listen to, but then we didnt see any driving of him. I cant help but feel he had lots of gap between the people behind and infront, and relied heavily on massa and kubica's struggles with each other, which supposedly gives the car infront a second everytime you go defensive.

I guess you can say im bias because im a huge Alonso fan. but based on what ive seen just on lewis' driving, i cant see nothing special. He tends to push alot yes, and he manages to keep the car on track with it a majority of the time. But upto yet, nothing suggests to me that he is fully world champion material, and that alot of his good fortune is because of the bad fortune of everyone else.

im total agree with you men hamilton drive well but doesnt do anithing out of this world
Ferrari Rules!!!!!!

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 26 May 2008, 22:33

lealjaime wrote: I guess the point im trying to make, is that upto yet, lewis hasnt done anything spectacular. All his wins have laid on the luck of other drivers. You could say its bias, but when i see the likes of Kimi, Massa and Alonso all being dismissed as lesser drivers by many people, but seeing them fight tooth nail for a percentage of their vicories, not just winning from pole position and relying on others' luck, but from their skill in overtaking and genuine racing wheel to wheel.
I disagree, Canada was a great win for him. Yes Alonso was sh*t that day but he didn't have the pace to challenge him anyway. Just because he won from pole position doesn't take anyway thing away from it along with all (but 1) of Massa's wins. USA wasn't luck either, as far as I can remember nobody was that poor apart from Raikkonen who was in a form slump at the time and he fought of Alonso mid-race. Hungary was effectively gifted to him ill give you that, but Japan most certainly wasn't after having to pick himself up after colliding with Kubica. Again, Alonso had no pace to challenge.
Australia was sort of luck, Ferrari's didn't have the pace so you can't really say it was luck really. I have no idea how you can say all of his wins are lucky.

F1_Maniac
kart driver
kart driver

Post by F1_Maniac » 26 May 2008, 23:24

what happend to kimi's pace????? was his car set up to be 100% dry?? u see him fish tailing more than anyone during acceleration.

kimifantuga
kart driver
kart driver

Post by kimifantuga » 26 May 2008, 23:50

kimi had problems with the tyres on first stint
didn't work in perfection

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 27 May 2008, 08:35

mikhailv wrote:That was bad luck regarding kovalainen. Though the start of the turkish race, i couldnt help but see how slow heiki got off, lewis getting infront but being able to keep kimi behind. team orders maybe? Remeniscent of coulthard/hakkinen? Maybe.

Anyway, i dont know whats wrong with kimi this year. Maybe Massa finally, will get a world championship, hes driving pretty impecably upto yet, come on lad!
I don't think you could come up with a block like that in that short time the start lasted :)

And seriously, do you REALLY think that Ferrari would let a guy they pay 3 times less money to win the WDC?? i think Luca would freak out...

If it were like it was in the Schumacher era, Kimi would be definite No.1 and would have about 10 more points by now... its no use to have 2 drivers in the same team fighting for the WDC, when in the end you get 2 drivers with a bunch of points, and a totally different driver from another team that actually wins the WDC...

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 27 May 2008, 11:06

Lightning983 wrote:And seriously, do you REALLY think that Ferrari would let a guy they pay 3 times less money to win the WDC?? i think Luca would freak out...

If it were like it was in the Schumacher era, Kimi would be definite No.1
I don't see single reason why Luca wouldn't happy for Felipe Massa as wdc winner :roll:: ..he even many times stated last year that Massa lost chance due to Reliability issues.

C'mon i hate this if statements :nosweat:
i doubt Kimi's capability of winning number 1 driver status! :p

Regarding Hamiltons victory in Monaco ..to survive that mistake was bit lucky :p
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Schumfs
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Schumfs » 27 May 2008, 11:57

Not a bit lucky.
I dont know why but everyone, plus the press saying that Hamilton's win was well deserved and stuff.
I dont think the same. I just only see these series of circumstances and coincidences and the luck of many drivers including Massa's, Hamilton's and others.
In my opinion the best driver at Monaco with, if you dont want many, not big mistakes and failures was Kubica and he was the only one who deserved the win.
But that's only me.
Racing... Because football, basketball, volleyball... Requires ONE ball!!!

color
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by color » 27 May 2008, 14:05

Schumfs wrote:Not a bit lucky.
I dont know why but everyone, plus the press saying that Hamilton's win was well deserved and stuff.
I dont think the same. I just only see these series of circumstances and coincidences and the luck of many drivers including Massa's, Hamilton's and others.
In my opinion the best driver at Monaco with, if you dont want many, not big mistakes and failures was Kubica and he was the only one who deserved the win.
But that's only me.
exactly. I don't understand it either. I have nothing against Hamilton, really. but calling him "the driver of the race" is just silly. yes, he won. yes, he had the best car. yes, he is an exceptional driver - just like several others on the grid.
and yes, he drove a very good race, but also made mistakes and had a lot of luck. clipping the wall and losing rear tyre is hardly a racecraft.
therefore - the fact that he won the race DOES NOT mean he was THE BEST DRIVER this particular race.
And he was not.
The best was Kubica.
(I thought Sutil, but passing under yellow flags disqualifies him - this is a driver's mistake)

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Rate the Monaco Grand Prix 2008

Post by Sanredrose » 27 May 2008, 14:48

dacer wrote:
joostlamers wrote:
starbright wrote:6. Best rookie: Piquet
Why so many of you think that Piquet did a good job? When Alonso got dry tires, he can drive preaty well... Piquet - he crash car... :blink:
Piquet was the first out on the dry tires, and Alonso is more experienced with that tricky situation, which it was at that moment. But Piquet will learn about this.
NOT, was the second. First was Alonso, after was piquet, and crash on second lap with dry tyres.

Edit:
I don't understand why you said Kimi was the worst driver. His drive throught was not cause for him. He only had 3 errors.
1-Race start, he loose his position with Hamilton (as many other drivers on left side).
2-His race off, as many other drivers like Massa, Hamilton, Alonso, ...
3-His crash with Sutil

Massa was very worst driver like him. His team was ok with him (no drive throught), and he was driving first a lot of time, and when was second, he only loose second with any other driver on track
Kimi can't be called be the worse driver for making mistakes. If thats the case everyone except Kubica made mistakes ... So i won't accept that ....

Nelsinho is looking for his way out of Renault F1. He should probably take up Test Driver position with some team, learn the track and dynamics of F1 and then join the field. If he is gonna continue this way probably Takumo or Toro Rosso guys can replace him !

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 27 May 2008, 16:53

[u][url=http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67745]http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67745[/url][/u] wrote: Sutil reprimanded for passing under yellow

Force India driver Adrian Sutil has been cautioned for overtaking under yellow flags during the rain-affected Monaco Grand Prix.

Sutil and the team's chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne were summoned to the steward's office after the race, and the German was reprimanded for passing Rubens Barrichello, Kazuki Nakajima and Nelson Piquet on lap 13.

A statement read: "The stewards do warn the driver of car no.20 as to his future behaviour in relation to appendix H, Chapter 2, Article 4.1.2b of the International Sporting Code."

Gascoyne also indicated to UK broadcaster ITV that he had contacted the stewards in relation to the incident that eliminated Sutil from the race.

The 25-year-old was heading for a career-best fourth-placed finish when Kimi Raikkonen collided with him after losing control under braking for the chicane.
pic of overtaking under yellow flags: http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 253ki6.jpg

So it's possible that Sutil would have got a penalty and been out of points anyway...

Alex.J.
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Alex.J. » 27 May 2008, 18:36

is it just me or the BMW engine sounds wierd while downshifting and at low revs?
As I walked through it Sunday evening, I couldn’t help but be amazed by the scale of this operation and the thousands of man hours that go into entertaining us for a couple of hours, 17 times a year.