9%
Other
1%

Total votes: 76

phil1993

2008 Petrol Ofisi Turkish Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 29 Apr 2008, 19:33

2008 Petrol Ofisi Turkish Grand Prix

Round 5 After a few cracking races and a few dull ones, what will turkey (and turn 8 without traction control) bring us. It appears to be Massa v Raikkonen but can McLaren and BMW change that???

track_plan_eng.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:Istanbul Park, also known as the Istanbul Racing Circuit or initially Istanbul Otodrom, is a motor sports race track near İstanbul, Turkey. It was inaugurated on August 21, 2005. It has been called "the best race track in the world" by Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

The venue of the Turkish Grand Prix is located in Pendik on the Asian side of Istanbul, close to the junction of Kurtköy on the north side of TEM Motorway, linking Istanbul to Ankara. It is adjacent to the newly constructed Sabiha Gökçen International Airport and is surrounded by forests and fields.

The Istanbul Park racing circuit is one of only two circuits of the 2007 Formula One season that runs anti-clockwise, the other being Interlagos circuit (used for the Brazilian Grand Prix). The circuit is 5.338 km long, with an average width of 15 m ranging from 14 to 21.5 m, and covers over 2.215 million m². With a total of 16 corners, the sharpest with a radius of merely 15 m, the circuit runs over four different ground levels with a start/finish straight over 650 m in length. The total race distance of the Turkish Grand Prix is 309.356 km over 58 laps.

The main grandstand has a seating capacity of 25,000 spectators. In addition, natural ground stands and temporary stands can provide a total capacity of over 155,000. The paddock buildings are two-level structures; the ground floor reserved for racing teams, the upper floor serving as hospitality areas, with an additional viewing capacity of 5,000 seats. At each end of the paddock, there are two 7-story VIP towers.

The circuit and its facilities were designed by the well-known racetrack architect Hermann Tilke, who said he designed the track to try to catch the drivers out. The inaugural Turkish Grand Prix certainly caught the drivers out, with many drivers spinning off throughout the weekend.

Turn 8 particularly caught the imagination. The corner is a fast, sweeping corner with four apexes, similar to one of the multi-apex sections of the old Nürburgring. Spectators and drivers alike raved about Turn 8, comparing it to legendary corners such as Eau Rouge and 130R. The circuit itself has already been compared to Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. Another notable corner is Turn 1, a sharp downhill left-hander immediately after the front straight. This corner has been nicknamed by some as the "Turkish Corkscrew" in reference to the famous "Corkscrew" at Laguna Seca. Both the 2006 F1 and MotoGP races at the circuit featured multiple incidents at this corner. A third noteworthy area is the uphill kink in the middle of the back straight; due to its similarity to Eau Rouge, it has been jokingly referred to as "Faux Rouge."

The circuit is not, however, without its critics. After qualifying, Jenson Button claimed that the track was getting bumpier as the weekend went on, particularly at Turn 8, which was what caused so many drivers to spin off. This harks back to another circuit designed by Hermann Tilke, Shanghai International Circuit, which is said to be sinking in places due to the fact that it was built on the site of a former swamp. Jarno Trulli was notable for his lukewarm feeling towards the circuit, saying that he felt the circuit was easy to learn, and that good performance was down more to the car than the driver.
Drivers Standings & Teams Standings
Image | Image

Previous winners:
Wikipedia wrote: 2005 Turkish Grand Prix
The winner of the inaugural Turkish Grand Prix was Kimi Räikkönen (McLaren-Mercedes), Fernando Alonso (Renault F1) came in second, followed by Juan Pablo Montoya (McLaren-Mercedes).

The fastest race lap was achieved by Juan Pablo Montoya in 1'24.770, a time which has yet to be bettered.

2006 Turkish Grand Prix
The 2006 Turkish Grand Prix was won by Felipe Massa (Ferrari), who led from start to finish, Fernando Alonso (Renault F1) came in second and 7 time world champion Michael Schumacher in third.

The fastest race lap was achieved by Michael Schumacher in 1'28.005.

2007 Turkish Grand Prix
The winner of the 2007 Turkish Grand Prix was the Brazilian Felipe Massa (Ferrari), who won the race for the second year in a row having qualified in pole position. During the press conference following the race, he commented that "the Istanbul Park was the track where he made his career turn-around, and finally began winning races." He also praised the track as well as the city.

The fastest race lap was achieved by Kimi Räikkönen in 1'27.295.
Official Weather Forecast (for 5 consecutive days):
http://www.meteoroloji.gov.tr/2006/tahm ... m=ISTANBUL

Live Broadcast (Turkish):
http://www.cnnturk.com/VIDEO/CANLI_YAYIN/index.asp

Official Site of Track:
http://www.istanbulparkcircuit.com/en-gb/Home/

camber
kart driver
kart driver

Re: 2008 Petrol Ofisi Turkish Grand Prix

Post by camber » 30 Apr 2008, 00:19

I guess Massa could have a shot, since he has done very well there, and another Kimi win could turn things bad for the Brazilian at Ferrari. Though i still think Kimi already has the upper hand at Ferrari for a long time.

Don't think McLaren and/or BMW will get any closer. Not to really challenge Ferrari anyway.

Soyyo
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soyyo » 30 Apr 2008, 06:28

1.- Massa: he looks like he has left his demons behind, he's more calm and this is one of his best tracks: pole, fastest lap and win for Massa.
2.-Kimi would make this the 3rd 1-2 for ferrari. He would manage to have his competitors behind and under control.
3.-Hamilton will battle but McLaren is still 1/10-3/10 slower than ferrari.
4.-Heidfeld would look for the points he lost in Spain.
5.-Kubica a solid drive
6.-Webber he would continue getting points.
7.-Rosberg new motor new points.
8.-Button would be again in the points.
Trulli if any of the above fail, he would be in the points.

I still don't think that Renault has made enough progress to be in the fight for points.
Spain was not a good race from which you could draw conclusion related to progress with the different teams, it was not a typical race, the safety car was deploy twice and that help to maintain a very compact race.

marty
kart driver
kart driver

Post by marty » 30 Apr 2008, 07:26

i reckon massa will spin in turn 8 while in the lead where hamilton will swoop to take the win hahahhah

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 30 Apr 2008, 08:01

I think it will be three consecutive 1-2 for Ferrari in this season... !yahoo:

I hope Kimi can win here, but i think Massa is in better shape, he was so dominant in this track for the last 2 years

So I think Massa will win and followed by Kimi... Flag:##

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by newtrex » 30 Apr 2008, 08:35

i guess massa should win it... but cannot say anything with kimi... and safety car because after watching what happened to heidfield in last gp and to hekki in australia, its time for safety car to ruin race for leader...

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 30 Apr 2008, 08:53

I love the track, so i hope it's gonna be a fun race to watch.
Hoping Kimi wins, but if Massa does with Kimi 2nd i'll be happy too :D

Expecting a strong showing from the BMW's... maybe even them beating the McLarens.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 30 Apr 2008, 11:21

Turkey should balance the known chassis attributes between the F2008 and the MP4-23.the F2008 should be the faster car in Turkey,This is a track which requires good top speed and good aerodynamics

David Smith
kart driver
kart driver

Post by David Smith » 30 Apr 2008, 13:40

Since its Massa's strongest grand prix i think it will be weird for him this year without TC, already seen him have alot of mistakes without it and this time arround he wont be able to get in the same zone he usually gets in for that track, or maybe he will be in that zone and forget all about his loss of tc and make more mistakes.

I think Kimi will take this with Kubica 2nd and dont know 3rd, feel hamiltons tyres will mess up again hehe :D

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 30 Apr 2008, 15:47

iceman1 wrote:Turkey should balance the known chassis attributes between the F2008 and the MP4-23.the F2008 should be the faster car in Turkey,This is a track which requires good top speed and good aerodynamics
Your right, and the Macca's just have NO top speed :huh: , but I think it will be Massa again, he just super fast in Turkey, but I do expect it might be closer between McLaren and Ferrari, hope for another Hamilton podium.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

f199
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f199 » 30 Apr 2008, 15:54

Only both the Ferrari have won this race and in the past 2 races this season then shown to get 2 1-2

McLaren-F1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by McLaren-F1 » 30 Apr 2008, 16:21

it'll be exciting race and i hope i'll be there...McLaren and Ferrari will be strong,this time Hammy will take pole position against ferrrari..Massa 2nd Kimi 3rd Heikki 4th..Track record is made by McLaren in 2005..Turn 8 is one of the best corner in F1 for me..
4ever McLaren...

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 30 Apr 2008, 16:35

No way will Hamilton get pole. Massa should win, its one of his strongest tracks. A McLaren or BMW could win if things go bit crazy like Australia.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 Apr 2008, 16:44

massa should win, but raikkonen is on top form after only his second pole-fl-win combination race.
i dont think things will go crazy like in aus as there is a large runoff area- like in bahrain. turn 8 could be interesting though and that could be massas downfall

tfhar
kart driver
kart driver

Post by tfhar » 30 Apr 2008, 17:20

last 3 season winners of this track is raikonen n massa. i think this time winner of this track also belongs to them. i hope raikonen will win but massa also very strong at this circuit. ferraris will win with 1-2 podium haha.