2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Locked
User avatar
phil1993
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25503
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:06

Hamilton admits: 'Crash was my fault'
Friday 4th April 2008

Lewis Hamilton has admitted he was to blame for the high-speed crash that curtailed his running during practice for the Bahrain GP.


Hamilton's McLaren skewed off the track after it climbed the kerbs on the exit of Turn Seven, and while he emerged unscathed, the same could not be said of his shattered car. The team now face a race against time to put it back together in time for Saturday's qualifying session.


Without quite going as far as to say that 'Yes, it was my mistake', Hamilton acknowledged he had been the cause of the crash. "It was a shame that I ended what had been a productive day going off the circuit and hitting the barriers at Turn Seven," he told reporters. "I was just pushing and sometimes these things happen. I am absolutely fine, and hopefully the damage to the car is not too bad.


"We would have had to change our engine and gearbox anyway so hopefully I am not going to be too unpopular with the boys in the garage."

User avatar
Jurist
kart driver
kart driver
Posts: 72
Joined: 30 Sep 2007, 07:30

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by Jurist » 04 Apr 2008, 15:12

I dont get the answer yet, just tell me what would happen if they change to the new engine?? what penalty Hamilton would get? or there'll no penalty as the broken gearbox on friday?
Image

User avatar
phil1993
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25503
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:16

Jurist wrote:I dont get the answer yet, just tell me what would happen if they change to the new engine?? what penalty Hamilton would get? or there'll no penalty as the broken gearbox on friday?


If Hamilton does need to change the engine (unlikely) he will get a 10 place penalty
If he changes the gearbox he will be fine.
If he changes the gearbox tomorrow after FP3 he will get a 5 place penalty

User avatar
phil1993
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25503
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:37

vin199 wrote:Hamilton Hardly Crash!


A 'Hardly Crash' is what massa did in australia at turn 1 on lap1. a rebuild isnt a 'hardly crash'

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1405
Joined: 03 Jan 2008, 21:04

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by Fergie1 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:38

phil1993 wrote:
Jurist wrote:I dont get the answer yet, just tell me what would happen if they change to the new engine?? what penalty Hamilton would get? or there'll no penalty as the broken gearbox on friday?


If Hamilton does need to change the engine (unlikely) he will get a 10 place penalty
If he changes the gearbox he will be fine.
If he changes the gearbox tomorrow after FP3 he will get a 5 place penalty

No penalty's for engine or gearbox changes on Fridays.

User avatar
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend
Posts: 23702
Joined: 16 Sep 2006, 15:50
Location: North Pole
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by iceman1 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:42

phil1993 wrote:
vin199 wrote:Hamilton Hardly Crash!


A 'Hardly Crash' is what massa did in australia at turn 1 on lap1. a rebuild isnt a 'hardly crash'

Nah sorry the member was spamming :<>: deleted His account .

gonna Miss the quali tomorrow :sad:

User avatar
phil1993
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25503
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:43

iceman1 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
vin199 wrote:Hamilton Hardly Crash!


A 'Hardly Crash' is what massa did in australia at turn 1 on lap1. a rebuild isnt a 'hardly crash'

Nah sorry the member was spamming :<>: deleted His account .

gonna Miss the quali tomorrow :sad:


good. why you gonna miss quali???

darthfury
Kart Champion
Kart Champion
Posts: 104
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 06:33
Location: BraSil

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by darthfury » 04 Apr 2008, 15:45

There will be a penalty for hamilton or not? Im confused :x

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1405
Joined: 03 Jan 2008, 21:04

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by Fergie1 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:46

darthfury wrote:There will be a penalty for hamilton or not? Im confused :x

No penalty for him as far as I'm aware.

User avatar
phil1993
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25503
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:48

darthfury wrote:There will be a penalty for hamilton or not? Im confused :x


If the engine is damaged, which is unlikely, then yes, obviously. If it isn't then no. Forget the gearbox. he wont get penalty for changing the gearbox.

User avatar
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend
Posts: 23702
Joined: 16 Sep 2006, 15:50
Location: North Pole
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by iceman1 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:50

phil1993 wrote:
good. why you gonna miss quali???

I have to study Maths :roll:: .

Kubica and Trulli looking to be the best behind the top two teams :thumbsup:

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1405
Joined: 03 Jan 2008, 21:04

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by Fergie1 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:51

phil1993 wrote:
darthfury wrote:There will be a penalty for hamilton or not? Im confused :x


If the engine is damaged, which is unlikely, then yes, obviously. If it isn't then no. Forget the gearbox. he wont get penalty for changing the gearbox.

No I remember Allen (not a great source :P) saying that they use a separate gearbox and engine on Fridays so he absolutely won't get a penalty.

I am absolutely fine, and hopefully the damage to the car is not too bad. We would have had to change our engine and gearbox anyway so hopefully I am not going to be too unpopular with the boys in the garage
Hamilton says that on f1.com.
Last edited by Fergie1 on 04 Apr 2008, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
phil1993
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 25503
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by phil1993 » 04 Apr 2008, 15:52

Fergie1 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
darthfury wrote:There will be a penalty for hamilton or not? Im confused :x


If the engine is damaged, which is unlikely, then yes, obviously. If it isn't then no. Forget the gearbox. he wont get penalty for changing the gearbox.

No I remember Allen (not a great source :P) saying that they use a separate gearbox and engine on Fridays so he absolutely won't get a penalty.

[from Formula1.com


yeah, they use a different gearbox, but not engine, but on the other hand, dont they get a 'free change' for the first failure

darthfury
Kart Champion
Kart Champion
Posts: 104
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 06:33
Location: BraSil

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by darthfury » 04 Apr 2008, 15:56

Fergie1 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
darthfury wrote:There will be a penalty for hamilton or not? Im confused :x


If the engine is damaged, which is unlikely, then yes, obviously. If it isn't then no. Forget the gearbox. he wont get penalty for changing the gearbox.

No I remember Allen (not a great source :P) saying that they use a separate gearbox and engine on Fridays so he absolutely won't get a penalty.

[from Formula1.com


As fair as I know the engine they use on friday is the same they will use on the race.

User avatar
Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver
Posts: 1199
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 23:17
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by Sanredrose » 04 Apr 2008, 15:59

[from Formula1.com[/quote]

yeah, they use a different gearbox, but not engine, but on the other hand, dont they get a 'free change' for the first failure[/quote]

Yeah i remember from some commentary that they get a free change for first engine failure.

Locked